Bill Henson aftermath

ThePup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What a crock of.... You know what...

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23899983-2,00.html

Unfortunatly there's no room for comments at the bottom of the story :grumpy: These parents need to be told that, as long as the game is played on council land (Almost a certinty) then there's NO legal way the club can prevent them taking photos.... Snap away, tell the club to shove their rules up their neither regions.

There's been a few schools and clubs banning photo taking here (Vic) at sports events even before the Henson 'scandal' happened, so it isn't new that this is happening.

While there may be an element of a paedophile lurking around every corner waiting to take opportunistic photographs of your child, the current hysteria is also firmly grounded in the fear of Clubs, Officials and Committee Members being sued/criticised/taken to court if an unauthorised photograph appears somewhere it shouldn't...
Take for example Mr Bianchino's 9 yr old daughter - what if "somebody else" took a photograph of the girl on the same day, the same netball court, the same game, and "that" photograph was published on the "Dodgy Lurkers" forum...
What do you think Mr Bianchino would have to say about that..?? Methinks he would promptly contact the Club and abuse the crep out of them for failing in their "duty of care to protect children"... probably would have a reasonable chance of litigation too...
And you can't just say "Oh well, Dads should be allowed to take photographs of their kids at sporting venues and where-ever..."
It's been widely publicised recently that some Dads (??how many??) are also paedophiles and their own children are victims... Well, what's to stop paedophile Dads taking photographs on the netball court that also include other girls, in the background... Well, there's nothing to stop him cos he has permission cos he's a Dad so there's nothing stopping him from taking photographs of the team-play...
So the only solution seems to be: NO PHOTOGRAPHY ALLOWED...
Jedo

Anyways, Bill Henson's photographs of naked 13 year old girls showing their breasts and genitalia don't come into this at all...
Those photographs are ART... aren't they????
And that's official...
Jedo

Take for example Mr Bianchino's 9 yr old daughter - what if "somebody else" took a photograph of the girl on the same day, the same netball court, the same game, and "that" photograph was published on the "Dodgy Lurkers" forum...
What do you think Mr Bianchino would have to say about that..??

I think he might have to explain himself to the authorities as to why he was there in the first place.

Right wing tabloid press does indeed rule the world.

Most pedophiles that want to secretly take photos of children at the weekend soccer match aren't standing on the sidelines with a 5D and a 70-300 f2.8.

hard to hide that.

Wow, that is...

I am actually against people taking easily recognizable photos of young children on the street. Just as a mom it doesnt sit right and I know I would be very angry and concerned if someone was snapping away on my kids. I know, it isnt the popular view here. But it is how I feel as a mother of two young children and I am a mom before a photographer.

But this is absurd! You cant take photos of your own kids playing sports?!?! How does it even have anything to do with that artsit guy?

I think he might have to explain himself to the authorities as to why he was there in the first place.

Right wing tabloid press does indeed rule the world.

This comment conveniently dodges the scenario of the paedophile dad...
He has a RIGHT to be there... taking photographs... It's his daughter... Tough if other people's daughters 'happen' to be in the frame...

Easy to denegrate Right Wing Tabloid Press, tempra - but maybe - just maybe, they have a point here...

I think it was Battou (apologies if not) who made the point that today's paedophiles achieve their perverted gratification with pictures and photographs of children fully dressed in normal attire...
Bill Henson's "ART" photographs are apparently LESS appealing to these grubs than images of every-day children in every-day clothing...
Look at the big picture...
Jedo

Most pedophiles that want to secretly take photos of children at the weekend soccer match aren't standing on the sidelines with a 5D and a 70-300 f2.8.

hard to hide that.

Well - I will respond to your deflective response with a question...
From a modern, technologically advanced viewpoint...
Does a paedophile NEED a 5D and a 70-300 f2.8 to take a photograph of a child at a sporting venue...?
Maybe NO.. Eh..?
Modern P&S are quite capable...
Jedo

Wow, that is...

I am actually against people taking easily recognizable photos of young children on the street. Just as a mom it doesnt sit right and I know I would be very angry and concerned if someone was snapping away on my kids. I know, it isnt the popular view here. But it is how I feel as a mother of two young children and I am a mom before a photographer.

But this is absurd! You cant take photos of your own kids playing sports?!?! How does it even have anything to do with that artsit guy?

True Emerana... And I totally agree that it is absurd that parents, and grandparents in my case, have to feel guilty about taking the camera along to a school sport venue or a school concert and taking pictures of their kids / grandkids...
I don't know the answer...
Jedo

This comment conveniently dodges the scenario of the paedophile dad...
He has a RIGHT to be there... taking photographs... It's his daughter... Tough if other people's daughters 'happen' to be in the frame...

Easy to denegrate Right Wing Tabloid Press, tempra - but maybe - just maybe, they have a point here...

I think it was Battou (apologies if not) who made the point that today's paedophiles achieve their perverted gratification with pictures and photographs of children fully dressed in normal attire...
Bill Henson's "ART" photographs are apparently LESS appealing to these grubs than images of every-day children in every-day clothing...
Look at the big picture...
Jedo

I don't think that the right wing tabloids have a point, I think they are just stirring things up to sell newspapers / TV adverts, they paint a picture of people taking photos of kids as having ulterior motives - or rather not people in general, but men in general.

If they saw a woman taking a photo of kids, they would interpret that they had good intentions but not a man.

Also, not having researched any of this activity, what actually happens to the children once a paedo has a photo of them? I mean they could save themselves the cost of a camera and a computer and just go wander around town on any given saturday - kids everywhere, They could tune in to kids TV - there's hundreds of them there!

I remember when the whole paedophile thing reached fever pitch in the tabloids over here, paediatricians had windows put through, that is the mentality of the tabloid readership and thats why they [the tabloids] rule the world.

It seems that the only thing that sells to the masses is fear, thats why advertisement companies create a fear for you that you never knew you had, so you can buy their stuff that you don't need to over come the fear that they have created - governments & political parties have latched onto this as have pressure groups and their mouthpiece is the tabloid press and 24 hour news starved TV channels.

Don't believe everything that you read in the news!

They didn't need Henson as the catalyst. Last year I was nearly kicked out of a volleyball tournament (all attendants were over 18 by the way) till a very very pissed off team manager who invited me in the first place went absolutely rank at the sporting grounds owner and threatened to have all 6 teams from the university go elsewhere for the tournament.

Similar reasons were cited. Because 20 adult girls most of who are friends of the photographer need protecting...

It doesn't make any sense. If you're worried about PEDOPHILES, make sure your kids are dressed properly, and it doesn't matter.

I never understand the idea that Pedophiles would want to take normal pictures of normal girls wearing normal outfits. If it happens, how can we possible stop it? Sure, Id rather NOT have a pedophile snapping pictures of my kids, but unless somehow her dress was above her head, or something worse - why does it really matter?

I doubt a pedophile would even take the chance on taking normal pictures somewhere, for exactly this kind of reason.

Remember the controversy started over NAKED pictures - which of course are horrible and should be banned - not over some kids playing at a park.

Here we go again and like I say we only have ourselves to blame. The media is producing a state of fear and we are falling for it.

Change can happen. Let us go out there and do something about it as opposed to posting comments from the comfort of our computer.

)'(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back