Bingham Falls - Stowe, Vermont

m1a1fan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this during my recent vacation to Vermont. This is one of over 500 images taken on my trip. It is an HDR for those who are thinking of asking :D and is made up of two images (one exposed for the forest above the falls and one for the falls).

I spent about two hours at this location and had a great time but it was a complicated and cluttered scene (nasty limbs and branches to the top and left and mud and weeds to the right) so I did the best with what Nature (and a zoom lens) gave me. I'm proud of the outcome.

The photos were merged using Photomatrix and the final image was processed using Paint Shop Pro X2. I feel that I have the image where I like it as far as exposure is concerned.

Technicals - The image was made with my D80 and 18-70mm lens with a Nikon CP.

Comments are welcome and thanks for taking a peek! :mrgreen:

Bingham Falls - Vermont

Last edited:
That is a great shot. One to be nicely framed and hung. I have not had the chance to shot any kind of flowing water. what is the fastest shutter you need to blur the water?? Im thinking maybe 1/5-1/10 but in a daylight shot like this a narrow aperture would be needed to counter over exposure??

im lookin and im likin ;) good job.

Thanks!

My goodness, that is a beautiful shot!

Thank You for taking the time to comment.

This is a great photo. Great composition. I love waterfall shots!

Thanks, Waterfalls are one of my favorite subjects.

Pete

That is a great shot. One to be nicely framed and hung. I have not had the chance to shot any kind of flowing water. what is the fastest shutter you need to blur the water?? Im thinking maybe 1/5-1/10 but in a daylight shot like this a narrow aperture would be needed to counter over exposure??

Thanks for the comment. I usually find that I use an Aperture of f/8 - f/16 at ISO100 to achieve the shutter speed that I'm looking for (usually 1 second or longer depending on the scene) and a Circular Polarizer to help take any glare off the rocks. Neutral Density filters are handy as well when Low ISO and stopping down does not slow the exposure enough.

I've found that shutter speeds in the range of 1/2 sec. or faster usually do not provide the results I'm looking for. I've found that to get that nice smooth milky flow of water a shutter speed over 1 second provides the best results. I keep an eye on my exposure via the camera's Histogram and try to "shoot to the right" as much as possible.

A good solid tripod, head and cable release helps as well to keep the camera as steady as possible during those loooong exposures.

One investment I'm making is in some Singh-Ray Split Neutral Density Filters so I can attempt to better balance my exposures without having to do the HDR photo merge all the time.

Hope some of this info helps. Now go out and find some falls!:thumbup:

Thanks!

Thank You for taking the time to comment.

Thanks for the comment. I usually find that I use an Aperture of f/8 - f/16 at ISO100 to achieve the shutter speed that I'm looking for (usually 1 second or longer depending on the scene) and a Circular Polarizer to help take any glare off the rocks. Neutral Density filters are handy as well when Low ISO and stopping down does not slow the exposure enough.

I've found that shutter speeds in the range of 1/2 sec. or faster usually do not provide the results I'm looking for. I've found that to get that nice smooth milky flow of water a shutter speed over 1 second provides the best results. I keep an eye on my exposure via the camera's Histogram and try to "shoot to the right" as much as possible.

A good solid tripod, head and cable release helps as well to keep the camera as steady as possible during those loooong exposures.

One investment I'm making is in some Singh-Ray Split Neutral Density Filters so I can attempt to better balance my exposures without having to do the HDR photo merge all the time.

Hope some of this info helps. Now go out and find some falls!:thumbup:

Thanks for the advice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back