Bird landing, CC please.

pmcbrier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is a photo I took recently at the park. I read somewhere that photographing birds in flight is good practice for action shooting, and as I want to be able to take good ski photos, it made sense to me. This was my first day out shooting birds, but this one came out the best. I realize the crop job is a bit hack, but I am more interested right now in being able to take sharp action pictures that are properly exposed. Let me know what you think.

f/5.6 400, iso400 and 135mm focal length with a 40D and a 28-135mm lens.
Birdlanding.jpg

obviously needs a faster shutter, and maybe just bump up the exposure ever so slightly

I guess I would have to bump up both to get a faster shutter speed and still have it expose properly. Thanks.

Are the wing tips out of focus due to shutter speed or DOF? Seems like 1/400 shutter should be enough to capture them in flight. I wonder if the f/5.6 gives enough DOF though? But going to f/8 really would have darkened the image. I shoot some of action sports and the best images occur when its really sunny out, obviously. Then you can really speed up the shutter and squeeze down the aperture.

Here is a photo I took recently at the park. I read somewhere that photographing birds in flight is good practice for action shooting, and as I want to be able to take good ski photos, it made sense to me. This was my first day out shooting birds, but this one came out the best. I realize the crop job is a bit hack, but I am more interested right now in being able to take sharp action pictures that are properly exposed. Let me know what you think.

You'll want to get a faster telephoto zoom lens so you can keep the ISO down (to limit the amount of noise in the image...this one has lots of noise in it) and keep the shutter speed up (to freeze the action...but the sense of movement in the wings is a nice touch).

A good lens to consider is the EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM, the lowest priced "L" lens available...very sharp lens.

You'll want to get a faster telephoto zoom lens so you can keep the ISO down (to limit the amount of noise in the image...this one has lots of noise in it) and keep the shutter speed up (to freeze the action...but the sense of movement in the wings is a nice touch).

A good lens to consider is the EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM, the lowest priced "L" lens available...very sharp lens.

You don't have to buy a new lens. You can correct iso noise while still retaining sharpness.

Most reactions

Back