Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
3817724296_9c79c4e5e9_o.jpg

3816914249_b4af503196_o.jpg

Nicely focused.

It's unfortunate they're backlit and make up so small a part of the image.

Usually, filling he frame with your subject is more effective. Of course, if you don't have that long a lens you have to crop.

There is a sticky at the top of the beginner forum about posting images : "the photo should already be sized down for forum viewing, no more than 600 pixels high, or 800 wide."

Thanks for the comments... I liked the three barbed wire strands, and I think cropping more would have lost the effect that they bring. I definitely need to be more aware of my lighting... I always seem to be taking backlit pictures.

I know you said that you like the effect of the three strands of barbed wire, but I have to second that a crop might be in order. Everything is nicely focused, but there's so much dead space in the frame that is kinda overwhelms the subject.

Next time try shooting similar images with the camera in portrait orientation. You'll be able to fill the frame with the subject more and also include the 3 barb wire strands.

that's not a bad idea. I never think to shoot in portrait. These would have worked well with that, although, with the amount of cropping in the one just posted, I could definitely make it into a portrait.

that's not a bad idea. I never think to shoot in portrait. These would have worked well with that, although, with the amount of cropping in the one just posted, I could definitely make it into a portrait.

Whenever I take multiple exposures of something, I always try at least a couple in the opposite orientation of what I was originally using. Worst case, if you don't like how it turned out, you can delete it. Some of my best landscapes were take in a 'portrait' orientation. It should help you get comfortable turning your camera.

Another trick is look at the shape of the subject. If the subject is wider than it is tall, shoot landscape. If the subject is taller than it is wide, shoot portrait.

yeah, I see in landscape though!
A lot of times when you read articles on photo composition they give you exercises to help you "see" differently and many of them tell you to shoot with the camera in both orientations...landscape and portrait...because the shot may work better in the other orientation.

It's like the exercise where they have you shoot the same scene from different heights so you can see how a different point of view changes the way each shot turns out.

Most reactions

Back