Bird Series with my new 100-400mm L

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Finally the sun was out today and i decided to test out my new Canon 100-400mm f4.5 L. It was cold out but worth it! I was fortunate enough to find some very cooperative birds :)

The first one of the bluejay, i was standing against the sun so the lighting isn't the greatest and couldn't get in better position without scaring him off. Alla re crops of 10-20% only except the last one which was about 50%, I was able to get within 10 feet at times :)

bluejay1.jpg

bluejay2.jpg

Black capped chikadee
blackcap1.jpg

blackcap2.jpg

blackcap3.jpg

blackcap4.jpg

Nice series, these are razor sharp.

great series here.. I really like #2 .. He has that like you better just leave!!! Wonderful shots here..

Awesome captures JOAT> Killer new lens .

Digital Matt said:
Nice shots. I'm glad to see these, because I have been contemplating buying that lens myself.
Thanx all for the kind words, I was just so excited to try out the lens....i even left the hood in the car :( I'm still getting the hang of things but so far I'm loving this lens.

Matt the IS alone is amazing, I've had the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro DG and the Canon 70-200mm F4 so using this lens with IS is a great pleasure. I picked this lens over the 400mm f5.6 Prime because i like to handhold my shots. IMO it's worth every penny:)

Great shots! The sunny day is killing me as I have to work inside and can't get out for any photos. The next two days I'm off and guess what? Cloud and flurries. If you want to come out to the marsh in Whitby sometime let me know and we can hook up.

Eric

JOAT,
Taken me a while to get use to the size and weight, but it's the only lens I use now for birds.
I think you will really like it. Even better with sun at your back! :sun:

Good luck with the new glass!

Bill

JOAT said:
Matt the IS alone is amazing, I've had the Sigma 70-300mm APO Macro DG and the Canon 70-200mm F4 so using this lens with IS is a great pleasure. I picked this lens over the 400mm f5.6 Prime because i like to handhold my shots. IMO it's worth every penny:)

Thanks Joat. I have the 70-200 f/4, and while it's a fantastic lens, I cannot use it without a tripod. I just don't have a steady hand. I don't like to shoot wildlife tied to my tripod all the time. I think IS is the answer. Keep shootin and show us more shots :)

AIRIC said:
Great shots! The sunny day is killing me as I have to work inside and can't get out for any photos. The next two days I'm off and guess what? Cloud and flurries. If you want to come out to the marsh in Whitby sometime let me know and we can hook up.

Eric

thanx again guys!

Airic i've been wanting to go by Lynde shores(or is it marsh?) for awhile now but the weather has been crappy. How's the birding up there?

the last two are exceptional iamges... the last one being extraordinary....i really like the fact that you present these birds with motion blur... i seldom see this kinda creativity with bird shots. Nice and impressive series of images....congrats on the L glass too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back