Birds from a local pond. With new D300

Heck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
heck.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I went out to shoot for the first time with my new D300 and had to go and try for some birds lol. I did improve but I have a lot to learn when it comes to shooting birds. The FPS jump from my D40x to the D300 felt huge at first. The single focal point did well...I don't think it was that much better than the D40x. I thought I would have more sharp photos when I got home but I did not have many that I felt were sharp. I was using no vr and hand holding for the shots. I was there at the right time to catch the hawk dive into the water and come up empty handed..I have the if all from the dive to the splash and the lift off... but its all just out of focus. :(

1 1/320 250iso
hawk.jpg

2 1/320 250iso
birdonrock2.jpg

BIF = 51pt 3D tracking. nails the focus everytime.

I guess hes taking about the 51 point auto focus with auto tracking on the d300. and BIF is Bird in flight.

Oh. :crazy:

me speaks Canon. Thanks for the translation :)

Actually single center focal point if you hit it will give you the best result. Be it 9, 45 or 51... if it grbs the wrong area to focus your screwed.

The first shot is a good effort, you might have nailed it if you shot at 1/500 or 1/640. 1/320 was to slow . you had the focus but the shutter speed is what caused the bird to blur.
You have a great camera to take these action shots ... you just need to go through the learning curve .

Also give us the all important exif info and we can do a great job at helping you along

Yeah uplander later on I put the shutter speed up to 1/800 and felt I was getting better shots. The hawk was a f5 maybe that was the problem also. too shallow Dof im thinking.,

Most reactions

New Topics

Back