Birds that like water

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took the D800 to a state park this morning to try out with the Tamron 150-600. I've started to form some opinions, but I'm curious what you think about IQ? Comments welcome and thanks for looking..

Mallard in flight 10_18 3 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Cormorant 10_18 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Snowy Egret 10_18 5 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Great Egret 10_18 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Snowy Egret 10_18 1 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Snowy Egret 10_18 2 by krisinct- Thanks for 3 Million + views!, on Flickr

Great bohek ... but not sure about the sharpness. But that could be more than just lens and first and foremost is uploading to the internet. It seems to be missing that razor edged, micro-contrast, sharpness.

These all look just a bit "weird". It's hard to pin down, but, except for the obvious panning shot over water with the reflection, which is speed-blurred, all of these look right on the edge of some kind of blurring...like when you're 1 click too slow, like say at 1/800 instead of 1/1000, you know? The DOF is shallow, close wing not in, eyes are in focus (which is good!), but these look just sort of "on the edge" in a way that's not quite one hundred percent "on". Not that they are bad, but there's something that looks like the speeds are just too slow,and that it is hurting the crispness. As Gary mentioned, some of that could be the re-sampling and down-sizing: I looked at the 1600-pixel size on Flickr, which is a HUGE down-rezz from full-size, so it is possible I THINK that your image processing/size reduction steps might be causing some of this slight weirdness. I am viewing these at 1920x1080 on an iMac, so heck, it could even be ON MY END that the resizing is ever so slightly wonky.

they look great to me and at this size I wouldn't get too excited

Ive noticed it too. I think it's the price to pay for cheap distance.

after playing with mine for a few hours today I'm already noticing that too. Contrast is pretty blah too, but nothing that can't be fixed in LR for that

My thoughts are the bokeh is pretty sweet. I like the overall look of the images, but I think either my fine tune is a touch off or the AA filter really hurts the Tamron. It was only the first day. I was at -5, I think -7 might be closer, so I will shoot with that tomorrow. Overall I thought the camera performed pretty well. I mostly shot it 1.2x crop mode which is 1 frame slower than the D7100, but gave me a buffer that was 3 times as big. I hope I can eek out a bit more sharpness though..

Overall for the first time out with it they look pretty good. You will only get better with it. I would try some without the filter too.
Oh, it's not that kind of filter.. The AA filter is on the sensor.. I never use filters on my lenses.

I'd be ecstatic with these, but also agree with Gary A.

Well, Unsharp Masking can help to counteract the AA filter, as well as the lack of contrast (with two totally different types of USM application). What kind of USM routine do your RAWs get on average scenes, to overcome the AA filter array? What have you tried so far as Step 1, overcoming the AA filter's blurring? How high have you gone, percentage wise? Up to 400 yet? How big a radius?

Most reactions

Back