Birthday Ballerina in the park

JoannaWilcox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.joannawilcox.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a few shots from a recent photo session. I just LOVEd the outfit! Her mom brought three complete outfits from head to toe and Olivia looked like a different child in all of them - great for my portfolio! She is two years old.

2887914583_a314f122e2_o.jpg

2883777732_f158044fde_o.jpg

What a sweet outfit! And I love the shot of her on the bench, with her feet nowhere near the ground...precious!

both of these are awesome captures! i am especially fond of #1. I am not too keen on the edits though.... they seem a little 'over done'. 1 seems very blown out and the color on both leans a bit yellow/green. but otherwise i think they are great!

I adore them, I really love the effect here and have been trying for a while to figure out how to do it. It has to be more than just white balance, contrast and sharpening?! Is this something one could accomplish with Elements? I'd love some pointers.
Great job!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments and critique. I don't agree that the first one is blown out - maybe it is a difference in out monitors. I checked the histogram and printed out the image and the exposure looks okay to me. I defintely see the yellowness (i didn't before) and have corrected that. So Thank you!

Rubbertree - I'm not really sure what effect you mean - if you mean overly edited smooth look lol it's just the use neat image to reduce noise in the image. I thought "Oh I don't think I did too much to the photo - it's probably realy close to SOC but no...You wouldn't believe the original next to this - it's hilarious and crappy looking. I am quite skilled in photo editing but I don't have much of a pattern or work flow - every picture is treated individually. If you have any direct questions shoot me an e-mail I'd be happy to help.

Joanna,

These are great captures and I mostly like your processing, but I think you're really killing the photos with crazy skin! There are so many unnatural colors in the skin and color casts- particularly yellows and reds.

When color popping, I would suggest doing the color pop layer on a new layer and then erasing out the skin. Here I just went ahead and used the sponge tool on desaturate to take the skin down some. I think it's a lot more flattering. Also those colors are out of gamut and at most labs will not print well.

Nice work tho!

play2.jpg

Nice shots.

Agree with Holga girl on the edits. The histogram shows some clipping highlight.

If these are from the shots, try reducing the white output to 245-248 so that it's less white and the midtone input to 0.95. You can also use curve to remove some green in the midtone/highlights.

both of these are awesome captures! i am especially fond of #1. I am not too keen on the edits though.... they seem a little 'over done'. 1 seems very blown out and the color on both leans a bit yellow/green. but otherwise i think they are great!

I agree with holga girl but that is just our opinion. Everyone likes to edit differently. What darling pictures and what a cute little girl. Nice job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back