Birthday Present

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm just put this photo together, and am planning on blowing it up (20x30) and giving it to a friend for his birthday. I just wanted to get you guy's opinions first and be positive there were no visible lines because of the editing them together. I figure several new sets of eyes can't hurt (especially since its 2 in the morning)

johnpool.jpg

Really nice! I don't see any lines, but it's 4am my time. Question for you, what do you use to crop out the area from your photos? I've used the lasso tool and have had less than desirable results. Do you use a mask?

Question for you, what do you use to crop out the area from your photos? I've used the lasso tool and have had less than desirable results. Do you use a mask?

Yeah, that was my first attempts to, but that didn't work at all. What I finally did was this.

I started out with 4 photos and chose one of them to be the background layer (in this case the one with him in the water, because I thought it would be the hardest to transfer to a different image). For the other three I took the square tool and drew a square around the person. I copied the square and pasted it into a new layer on the background image. Once pasted, it was pretty easy to line up using the arrows for real small adjustments and zomming in. Just make sure you get some good lines in the box.

There were a couple times when the box overlapped with the person, in these cases i just used the eraser to get rid of part of the box.

Does that all make sense?

very nice!! i dont see any flaws :) of course it MIGHT be easier to spot with a large print. you'll see, but even if you do, it's still a great shot, concept and job :)

yeah, as it gets bigger it starts to look fuzzy. I'm thinkin about a reshoot with a larger DOF

tr0gd0o0r said:
Question for you, what do you use to crop out the area from your photos? I've used the lasso tool and have had less than desirable results. Do you use a mask?

Yeah, that was my first attempts to, but that didn't work at all. What I finally did was this.

I started out with 4 photos and chose one of them to be the background layer (in this case the one with him in the water, because I thought it would be the hardest to transfer to a different image). For the other three I took the square tool and drew a square around the person. I copied the square and pasted it into a new layer on the background image. Once pasted, it was pretty easy to line up using the arrows for real small adjustments and zomming in. Just make sure you get some good lines in the box.

You have very clean extractions. I totally do not understand your method.

Before you present it to your friend, you might consider adding individual shadows. But, he'll be so impressed with your rendering that probably he will not notice the abscence of shadows.

tr0gd0o0r wrote:
Quote:

Before you present it to your friend, you might consider adding individual shadows. But, he'll be so impressed with your rendering that probably he will not notice the abscence of shadows.

There werent any shadows in the original photographs. I guess either the natural lighting just took care of them, or they're lost in the water.

I'll try to explain my method again, simply. I copy a big box around the person. Then paste it back in exactly the right spot in one of the other photographs

tr0gd0o0r said:
tr0gd0o0r wrote:
Quote:

There werent any shadows in the original photographs. I guess either the natural lighting just took care of them, or they're lost in the water.

I'll try to explain my method again, simply. I copy a big box around the person. Then paste it back in exactly the right spot in one of the other photographs

I totally like what you've done--it's inspiring
Good work!

Most reactions

Back