Bit of an odd question...

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by JJP, Mar 10, 2008.

1. JJP

JJP TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi all :)

I'm currently on an documentary assignment where I have chosen to do it on the different aspects of street life, I will be taking photographs of street performers/entertainers, stall workers in markets, and the homeless, which is why I'm asking this question.

I don't know if I should just walk up to them (the homeless) and take a photograph, or ask them, or offer them a bit of money in exchange for a photo. I will be mainly doing these photographs in London. I ask this as I know that the homeless can vary in friendlyness if you get what I mean.

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Edit: Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section, couldn't think of where to put this.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't think that anyone can answer for what you should do. That's up to you.

As far as I know...it should be OK for to to take photos without asking them, as long as you are on public property and are not invading their 'expectation of privacy'. This would also be subject to your use of the images. A documentary assignment, is probably OK...but using them in an advertising campaign without permission (model release) is probaly not OK.

And of course, this all depends on the rules and laws of where you live.

3. KevinDks

KevinDks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Why don't you try talking to them?

Homeless people are sometimes drunk, sometimes have mental health problems or drug addiction, but in my experience they are often quite normal and keen to chat - it can be pretty lonely and frightening out there and mostly they get ignored or abused, so you may be surprised at the reaction you get from just taking an interest, from asking how they are today. In other words, don't buy their photo with a bit of money, pay with your time. If that thought scares you, make a start with some Big Issue vendors, who have at least got their act together enough to sell the magazine.

4. shootLib

shootLib TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with talking to them. They may be delighted for you to take their picture, and some may not. But as a photographer, i guess we should be willing to take the risk to even just ask. If they decline....well, usually they would want something in return anyways, so you can pay them or buy them a burger or something.

One time when I was in Atlanta, which is a good size city with LOTS of homeless people, i asked to take a photo of this hobo man selling roses and he told me "taking my picture, is like taking an xray of my soul, your taking my soul", so i respected that and didn't take it. but ....you never know. Just go...and try!

5. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think it courteous and proper to talk to them and ask them, however from the point of a documentary, it takes away from the sponteneity and originality of the shot.

It depends on what you want to sacrifice... your morals, or your ethics. Both are equally important, IMHO.

I personally would not be afraid to talk to them, but be cautious, becuase as mentioned, many have issues.

6. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    might be a good idea to first take some shots from a distance without causing too much attention, then walk up to them, talk to them, and take a few more shots if they allow.

offer them to delete the first shots, most of them will tell you it is ok if you keep them!

7. ~Stella~

~Stella~ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think this would be what I would do - it's respectful, but you'd still get your candid shots. And depending on where you will be, I might carry around small amount gift cards to the McD's or whatever fast food establishment is within walking distance as a token of appreciation.

8. Anelle

Anelle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really like Alec_B's suggestion!

Anelle

9. crystal_lynn

crystal_lynn I am sure I sound childish

Photos OK to edit
    That is an excellent suggestion. No extra cash, but you still have a way to "pay" them.

10. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I routinely trade cigarettes for photographs. Works like a charm.

Otherwise buy a Leica and don't ask permission.

11. skieur

skieur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    One correction: That should be public place not public property. There is a difference in law. You can take photos in a public place that is NOT on public property.

skieur

12. dipstick

dipstick TPF Noob!

Ask yourself this: If you were homeless on the street and spotted a photographer. Would you rather have the photographer walk up to you and ask you how you would feel about him taking pictures, or just have him shooting from a distance without asking?

To me the answer is pretty obvious, and goes for all people, not only for the homeless.