Bit of fun with a broken 75-300mm

Chris Overson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a few weeks ago I bought a canon 75-300mm badly infected with fungus for £3 at a carboot sale (not sure what the US equivelent is).

I stripped it down to repair it but it I couldn't get to all the elements and it wouldn't work properly, so I decided to keep it in a stripped-down state as a bit of an ornament.

Here it is:

It's kinda fun because it still works on the camera in manual focus - you rotate the end element to focus (not too far or it falls off), and push/pull the barrel to zoom.

I was playing with it earlier when the plastic end containing the front element fell off as it generally does, and I noticed that it works as a handy magnifier!

After putting it to my eye to it for a bit and examining the dust on my desk I decided to try something else...

Apparently it wedges perfectly onto the 62mm tamron UV filter! But I decided that wasn't quite enough...

Behold, the DIY macro MKII:

Oh yes....

Now the lens is totally useless at anything but short range, but it can focus very closely indeed now (should have measured, but I'd estimate within 3-6 inches of the front element).

Before (tamron 18-270 @ 270mm, closest focus distance):

After:

Just a little bit of distortion, but not bad.

Not sure how useful this will be to anyone, but felt like sharing :).

I might have a play combining this with macro tubes and some other tricks and see what shots I can get.

Interesting! So people shouldn't be sad if their lens is broken.

Makin' lemons into lemonade!!!! Nice going!

decent looking results for sure.

OMG, it has sprout it's own FEET !!
Like War of the Worlds

nice images :)

Cheers guys :)

I'm hoping to try and get some pictures of some more interesting subjects with it, maybe try to add a macro element on to the front and/or tubes as well for extreme close-ups :p.

The gorilla pod is great also, very happy with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back