Black and White conversions

deb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I see more and more images being converted to b&w. I have always been a fan of b&w, but I've never considered it an all purpose film. I know that prior to digital, more color film was shot, but now it seems that most images are being converted.

I'm curious as to whether or not those of you who convert images to b&w shoot or shot (if you're totally digital now) a lot of b&w film or if the resurgence of b&w is due to it being a novelty to many younger photographers.

Or, does photography like fashion go in cycles?

Yes...and yes :D

I think part of the reasoning behind the surge in bw conversions is the clarity. The new digital cameras have the ability to shoot beautiful flawless images. So you maintain that when you convert to bw. I convert some of my photos and intentionally add a little grain and distortion to mimick some of the old bw film. But for the most part, just straight conversions.

I think a lot of people convert to BW because it covers up alot of the photographers flaws that are found in color photography. Converting to BW gets rid of all the color issues and you can play it off as a more cliche artistic approach. Im sure some of the people do it for the novelty but I think most do it because they dont have the skill or want to attempt color correcting before the shoot and or the image produced.

I think digital camera have alot to do with the sudden rise. because so many people own them but dont know much about the techs of photography and BW is a way to make okay photos look more than what they are.

My first true interest in photography was with black and white photography, which included developing my own film and prints.

That fascination hasn't faded now that I work in digital and in most cases (not all but most) I shoot with the intention of either keeping the shot colour or black and white ... sometimes it works out that I like the image better in colour or black and white but I guess that's just part of the beauty of digital (if there is such a thing) that the choice can still be ultimately made after shooting

Just my $.02

:mrgreen:

I don't see that BW is any more popular than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Some people like it; the majority still shoot color in both film and digital.

ksmattfish said:
I don't see that BW is any more popular than it was 5 or 10 years ago. Some people like it; the majority still shoot color in both film and digital.

I agree...

I personally usually plan ahead what I want to shoot in bw but then there are times when post processing that the image in color just really works better in black and white.

I don't think we can blame this on digital completely, it just seems like an easy out for everyone to blame their photographic frustrations on...digital isn't always the easy way out, a lot of things go into it just as they do in the darkroom, you still have to get the proper amount of contrast, burn and dodge, and all those things with digital photography that you would in a darkroom. It's not just picture perfect everytime...and IMO I've tried using the bw setting on my digital and it sucks, I'd rather put in the work and get a truer to film black and white shot...

Color is taking pictures. Black and White is art.

My $0.02.

YMMV.

LWW

Vmann said:
I think a lot of people convert to BW because it covers up alot of the photographers flaws that are found in color photography. Converting to BW gets rid of all the color issues and you can play it off as a more cliche artistic approach. Im sure some of the people do it for the novelty but I think most do it because they dont have the skill or want to attempt color correcting before the shoot and or the image produced.
...or maybe some people don't have skill to shoot b&w. By making a good B&W picture you have to give up color, the image has to be interesting, artistic, and well composed even more so than color, because the focus of a color image is also on color which can't be as controlled by the photographer than other factors which help determine the quality of image.

And I don't understand how you say people make images b&w just to cover up flaws and make it seem artistic. In many situtations b&w works better that color. Color is one of the things that makes photos more realistic, sometimes shots work better if they aren't so tied to that imitation color realism.

By the way, does your opinion change when talking about film, or is it universally applicable?

LWW said:
Color is taking pictures. Black and White is art.

My $0.02.

YMMV.

LWW

So what does that make colored shots in national geographic and other magazines? Just b/c it's black and white doesn't make it art...You should really research some photographers and broaden your opinion on that one...

As visual aspects of an image go, human beings are very sensitive and emotionally charged when it comes to color. Probably more so than any other visual aspect such as shape, texture, tone, etc... I am more interested in the other aspects, so I'm into BW.

As the saying goes, "If you can't make it good, make it big. If you can't make it big, make it red." ;)

I'm very sensitive and emotionally charged when it comes to black & white. :D
Couple that with shape, texture, tone, etc.

Black and white is a beautiful beast! :)

One idea is that the world is in colour, so of course black and white is more dramatic. Digi or film; black and white is great start to photography. I think it teaches you about contrast and exposure. The (arguably) 256 greyscale tones are easy to contend with. Easy may be a little dramatic, but it beats the thousands or millions in colour.

Personally 90% percent of my work is in colour. It has taken a long time to get there. Understanding colour (for me) has taken years.

darin3200 said:
...or maybe some people don't have skill to shoot b&w. By making a good B&W picture you have to give up color, the image has to be interesting, artistic, and well composed even more so than color, because the focus of a color image is also on color which can't be as controlled by the photographer than other factors which help determine the quality of image.

And I don't understand how you say people make images b&w just to cover up flaws and make it seem artistic. In many situtations b&w works better that color. Color is one of the things that makes photos more realistic, sometimes shots work better if they aren't so tied to that imitation color realism.

By the way, does your opinion change when talking about film, or is it universally applicable?

I agree it takes skill to shoot a good BW and for the people who actually go out or can see a image from color to BW before they ever set down to change it over, my hats off to them. It just seems to many people take all these photos in color and when none off the images work for them just convert a few over to BW for that quick... look its BW and artistic.

But I would say it takes more skill to shot a good color photo than a good BW not only do you have all the elements of a BW but then add color to the mix. Its hard for some people to get BW down much less add color to the things they have to worry about. Say you take a picture of a tree and it comes out hazy it would be hard for seem people to work with the photo and get all the colors to come through like they are supposed to. So instead they convert to BW and bumb the contrast up, know there is no color correction to worry about and you have a decent BW. Its just easy to turn things to BW. Havent you ever taken a roll or card full of images in color only to get them back and have none you really like in color but you know a few would make decent BW.

My opionen doesn't change for film or digital I think alot of both kinds of photographers switch things around when shooting photos. BW would work better so they use it. Im just reffering to people that shot color and convert because they have nothing to show for it in color so they ditch the color for a more simplistic look... BW. I do think digital through the computer by scan or camera has made all this more possible. Know you dont need a darkroom at home to produce BW but a laptop and your set... 20min in front of a screen and you have converted who knows how may colors to BW. if you where standing in a darkroom just to do one image would probably take a good hour and I think that is also why there are more BWs out there these days than color... digital workflow has really increased productivity opening the doors for people who wouldn't have access to the Darkroom.

I have nothing against BW its a beutiful medium to work in i just think more people work in it because its the easier of the two meduims. I personally shot both and I am also quilty for the above mentioned.

Quick synopsis: My belief is most people find BW to be a strong medium easier to manipulate than color. So they choose to work in it because it produces better end results for them. Thier BW being stronger than thier color images. People should do what makes them happy there is nothing wrong with converting all your images to BW if thats what you want or think would be the best way for viewing them.

eromallagadnama said:
So what does that make colored shots in national geographic and other magazines? Just b/c it's black and white doesn't make it art...You should really research some photographers and broaden your opinion on that one...

agreed.

I've always considered b&w to be more challenging than color. Getting the exposure that uses the gamut of shades requires more precision than exposing color film.

Maybe it's time for me to try my hand at the old channel mixer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back