Black and White film work.

Katier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Not sure you'd class me as a beginner as such but I've never used black and white film before.. so definatly a beginner on that front. So I thought I'd ask for feedback on a couple of my favourite shots.

3155920387_3cd4ed6955.jpg

3155852933_fe3548d9d9.jpg

and cropped

3155861285_3c7a4cf32b.jpg

all taken on C41 BW400 film on a Pentax Me Super with 28-70 zoom.

Oh and both were taken on a very cold and Misty January morning - something I think that adds to the shots.

Get yourself some Ilford FP4 and HP5 because that film is very grainy HP5 can be pushed right upto iso6400 and i have pushed FP5 upto iso800 with good results

I like pic #2 the best. Where were these pictures taken?

I like pic #2... uncropped. The arrows in the road point (lead) you to your subject.

In the cropped version, it just looks like a couple of buildings with no main subject.

Although, they are all pretty flat looking. Very gray. You need sharper contrast.

Yup, too washed out looking... need much more contrast.

Film was limited by lack of BW processing but I will be moving onto Ilford film ( in fact already having done - thinking about it these were shot on XP2 not Kodak ) - a lot of the lack of contrast was the conditions but I guess I could post process some in?

The road is 'parsons hill' in Kings Heath Birmingham, UK. The church is St Martins with the Bull Ring shopping center (left) and Rotunda ( right ) in the background - also Birmingham, UK.

Film was limited by lack of BW processing but I will be moving onto Ilford film ( in fact already having done - thinking about it these were shot on XP2 not Kodak ) - a lot of the lack of contrast was the conditions but I guess I could post process some in?

The road is 'parsons hill' in Kings Heath Birmingham, UK. The church is St Martins with the Bull Ring shopping center (left) and Rotunda ( right ) in the background - also Birmingham, UK.

I worked just down the road from there at the Childrens hospital when it was refurbished in the 90's
Peak Imaging is good for developing
Welcome to Peak Imaging

This is HP5 at iso3200
370601160_aYKRB-L.jpg

Just wondering because it looks beautiful there. Somewhere I'd like to visit one day....

Yeah there's lots of scope for good photography in Birmingham. The St Martins picture is a very unusual view for it, most photo's are from the other side to the side. This side is an angle people are usually in motorvehicles and commuting etc.

Other than the film, is there anything you guys would have done differently?

Not sure the best solution for the contrast without losing too much of the 'atmosphere' of the shot.

Yeah there's lots of scope for good photography in Birmingham. The St Martins picture is a very unusual view for it, most photo's are from the other side to the side. This side is an angle people are usually in motorvehicles and commuting etc.

Other than the film, is there anything you guys would have done differently?

Not sure the best solution for the contrast without losing too much of the 'atmosphere' of the shot.

It could be made much better if you know someone with a darkroom, had a quick go in photoshop and it could be made much better

PS I do have :)

Darkroom - Well I'm keeping an eye on sources for a second hand one - plus Uni has one but need to find someone to help with that ( pretty sure they don't just let you walk in and play - health and safety and all that).

Most reactions

Back