Black and White or Color

that's a really tough choice, they are both great, and very different... amazing how removing color can completely change a photo. I think I am leaning with chase and others on the skin tones... it would be a shame to NOT experience that aspect of the image. but i think it depends on the context of where the photo will be displayed... the b&w could easily fit in nicely on a wall given the right environment. beautiful capture... nice lighting too! :thumbup:

Both are beautiful... but i think i prefer the colour. Just gorgeous....another star i will have to keep my out for!!!.. dont suppose you want to explain to an ameteur how you did the 'vignetting'.... i love it but can't seem to master it! xx great work, looking forward to checking out your future posts x

thebeginning said:
thanks for your input guys! i think i like the color better for presentation to her, or people she knows. it was a candid shot, so she's not going to be looking for anything special. For myself and for more 'artistic' presentation I think I like the b/w one a little better.

How did you achieve such magical lighting if this was a candid shot?? It is beautiful in every way xx

wow!! You always blow me away, ever since I saw that photo you did in Austin at the meetup of the old man playing the saxaphone (which is by the way, one of my favorite photos!) It is truely hard to decide on these, but I think the color one really gives off such a warm and wonderful feel to this photo.

They both look great. If I had to choose for someone else, I'd suggest go with the color version.

thanks you guys :)

andreag5 said:
I like the color version better. The black and white seems to have an unappealing purplish tint.

maybe it's your monitor...? The image is pretty much completely desaturated with a slight sepia/selenium tone...

B&W is definitely better. It gives your subject character in a way that color cannot. You mentioned that this is only a candid, but you have taken it out of that context with your software alterations and transformed it into a portraiture motif. B&W gives it a timeless effect. The only other adjustment I would make is dodging the darkness around the eye of the broad side of the face.

Chase said:
Tough one, but I'd say I prefer the color version here. Something about the skin tone really ads something for me in this shot.

color one all the way :thumbup: :thumbup: , some great use of shadow in this shot

I think that the bw is simple, and clean which is my thing. I don't like alot of detail or pictures that you need to figure out whats going on.

The color version leaves me with a modern impression, and I just cant connect. It is beautifully done and the lighting is near perfect I just can't seem to find a connection.

Im not

Most reactions

New Topics

Back