Black and White, WB

OKCPhotographer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am switching back to film, and working in black and white, I was wanting to know if with black and white photography you have to worry about white balance like you do with color, IE, If I were to shoot inside with tungstein lighting will I need any special filter to compisate for the tungstein lighting etc like you would with color film,

Sorry if this sounds silly, I never have shot much black and white, even when I used to shoot with film..

Thanks for any responses,, and BTW, I am new here,. Thanks for your help..

Dale

Nope.

Assuming you're using panchromatic film (which pretty much all general-purpose BW films are), you'll be fine.

Some people hold the opinion that, when shooting in Tungsten light, you should use, for example, an 80B filter (like you would with color film). They say this is because color temperature of the light will alter the tones in the print. I was reading The Camera, Ansel Adams, today, and he suggested using a yellow filter (K2, if I recall correctly) to match what the eye sees, when shooting outdoors.

Personally, I don't find it necessary because black and white is already an abstraction. I use filters for effects, but not color correction.

No filters needed indoors for tone correction. Just use as is and enjoy. welcome back to film.

Most reactions

Back