Black and White with bright colored item.

catman4x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am just getting started so I don't know much, but my question is how do people do those black and white pictures with say one bright colored element in it? I assume it is an editing program but which ones and how do you do it exactly? Any input would be great.

i think what your looking for is infrared photography... it can be done with photoshop easily, but hardcore people use film cameras and no post processing

there is a thread happening right now about IR photography.. i cant find it at a quick glance, but do a search you'll find a few threads on it

I think he's talking about these pics that are turned B&W and the color is left and exaggerated on one element; for example I've seen a pic with a B&W baby and the bow in the hair way almost neon pink.

Is it what you meant? if so, any image editing program should do it, the best one being Photoshop.

Yes the one with the baby sounds like what I've seen. Do you know which photoshop I would need? Elements, CS3? I'm new to this and kinda working on a budget so I need to get the most bang for my buck. Thanks for the information guys it is much appreciated.

You can do that kind of thing with Gimp, which is free. I'd start there and see if that fills your needs, no need to spend money if you don't have to do so-- you can buy Photo Shop in the future if you need.

I'm afraid there's no good quick fix. It's all about taking the time to select what you want to keep the colour in and then desaturating the rest.

i think what your looking for is infrared photography... it can be done with photoshop easily, but hardcore people use film cameras and no post processing

there is a thread happening right now about IR photography.. i cant find it at a quick glance, but do a search you'll find a few threads on it

No, I think they mean selective coloring images. Yes, it is done with a editing software like photoshop (elements or full photoshop) and others can do it as well.
It's quite easy to do. All you do is add a layer and then paint out the parts of the picture you don't want any color in. Everything turns into a black and white expect for the color portion you've left unpainted.

Thanks for the input everyone, it was very helpful!

Here's one I did in about 5 seconds. Load it up in Photoshop. Press Control-U to edit the hue/saturation. Where is says "Master" pull it down, and change it to the next colour in the list. I think there are about 8 colours listed. (basic colours). Edit each one, and drop the saturation to 0 except for the one colour you wish to use, leave it as is. In mine, I dropped all the saturation to 0 except red. Since it was fall, there were a bit of red leaves that stayed red. So what I did was circled the jeep, then inverted selection, then droped the saturation again. Here is my result.

bigred.jpg

There are several ways to do it. The most basic would be to layer a BW photo on top of a color photo, and then mask in the item you want to be color (sort of like erasing a part of the BW photo so the color comes through from below).

I've seen several compact digital cameras that offer selective coloring in-camera.

Most reactions

Back