Black and white

dolfan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have photoshop, and paintshop, but I can't figure out how to do what I am trying to do, I was trying to edit a photo so that the subject is in color and the background being black and white, if anyone could do me a step by step that would be great..

Thanks,
Bob

Well I dont know the *best* way to do it. My favorite way is to.. well It depends, whatever is smaller, the colored piece of the black n white piece... use the smaller piece since it wont take as long.

Use the lasso tool (maybe the other lasso tool I forgot its name, you continually clicking to create a selected area)

THe lasso tool you dont continue to click, its kind of where u move ur mouse is what u selected, anyways mess with any of the lasso tools...

ANYWAYS sorry i blabber a lot... I just wanted to help since no other replies yet

Use that tool to select the smallest piece. (Such as a person compared to the background)

Lets say you want to leave the person or subject in color and change everyhting else to black n white. You use the lasso tool to select the subject then type CONTROL + I i believe to INVERT the selection. This selected everything except the subject.

GO to the menu at the top... I am SO sorry I dont ha ve photoshop on this computer (i dont know the menus)... Its like the 3rd from the left and look for "Desaturate" or any other way to make an image to black n white...

Anyways sorry im an amature and I cant explain things well...

I have photoshop, and paintshop, but I can't figure out how to do what I am trying to do, I was trying to edit a photo so that the subject is in color and the background being black and white, if anyone could do me a step by step that would be great..

Thanks,
Bob

Try a search for 'selective colouring' on this forum or Google.

Yes, I will say use the lasso tool to select the object you like to be in color. Once you have the object selected, just copy it (CTRL-C in Windows) or Select "Copy" from the Edit menu.

After that, just change the image from color to grayscale and then change it back to color, such as RGB. Your photo will be in B&W at that point.

Now, Paste the object you copied awhile ago back to the photo. Make sure it is position correctly.

I do not have the Photoshop in front of me now, but I think that should do it.

There is a more accurate method by creating a duplicate layer (you don't see that you have "two sheets of the same photo", one above the other now).
Then switch the colour mode to "Lab Colours" (in "Image" -> "mode").
You will be asked "Flatten Image" or "Don't Flatten Image" and you push "Don't Flatten Image".
Then you desaturate the top layer (which is the only one you can see), via "Image" -> "Adjust" -> "Desaturate".
Also adjust the levels so it is a good, contrasty black and white pic.
Then take the eraser tool and erase those black and white parts off the duplicate layer that you want in colour. The still colourful bottom layer comes shining through.
To be very precise in your work, you work at 200% or even 400% magnification and a tiny eraser to get the borders perfect and not smear into bits you still want in black&white only.
When all has been erased, i.e. everything you want to is back in colour, go to "Layers" -> "Flatten Image".
Then go to "Image" -> "Mode" -> "RGB Colour" and after that save your new selective colour version under a new name.

Thank You all for the responses, That helped alot..thanks,

Bob

Most reactions

Back