Black and White

Choleric

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a difference between the pictures coming from a camera that has the black and white setting on as compared to taking the picture, made in color, and desaturating it or changing it to grayscale in photoshop?

Aren't the effects different? Meaning, aren't the black and white photos from the camera nicer?

Thanks.

If you're going to do digital B&W NEVER shoot in the B&W mode. Use the chanel mixer in photoshop instead using the color file.

I'm not sure if a camera does any processing to the shot aside from desaturation. Even if it would... it won't do as much or be as flexible as Photoshop (or another post processing prog). Plus if you take it in color then edit the shot afterwards you still have the color original. If you take the pic in B&W... you lose the color.

i think you do lose something in the conversion process. it may just be me but ive always thought the pictures arent quite as crisp, or quite as classic looking for whatever reason. and it may be completly mental, just my mind playing tricks on me. but that up to you

Best to shoot RAW . then you have much more data to start with. Desaturate with colour channals. and you still have the original colour shot if you need it. save the result as a TIFF (Almost loss less file format) and the original as an unprocessed file so that you can always come back to it.
(Always assuming tht you don't have access to a 1930 lens and mono sheet film !! Mind you lenses are a lot better now than in 1930 so you can't get away with as many mistakes!!!.)

Most reactions

Back