Black and White ....

Gatsby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
is something I normally steer clear of (don't think I'm good enuf yet!) but I couldn't walk past the incongruity of this shot in black and white.

Please tell me if this works (at all!)

Ballcrawl.jpg

Cheers,
Gatsby

personally i think this photo may have been better in colour beacause it just looks a bit dull in black and white. however thats jus my opinion and im pretty new 2 photography!

Very cute! :)

chips said:
personally i think this photo may have been better in colour beacause it just looks a bit dull in black and white. however thats jus my opinion and im pretty new 2 photography!

it's kind of interesting, because we've all seen these ball pits before, we know the balls come in all crazy colors. so it's a surprise to see what the luminosity factor of these objects is (kind of an alien experience).
is that what you were talking about gatsby, when you said
Gatsby said:
but I couldn't walk past the incongruity of this shot in black and white.

if i took this shot, i would be dying to mess around with the contrast and the levels in photoshop, but with the lack of shadows on her face, i'm not sure how it would turn out.
i never ever use the flash, but i think it turned out pretty well in this shot.

Thanks all, StvShoop, that's exactly what I meant - we all know exactly what they look like..

Had to use the flash - area was a little black hole without it!!

Cheers,
Gats

Had a play with the contrast (3am is no time to be playing with photographs!!) and the crop.

There is unfortunately a denim clad leg in the top lhc and as much as I can do a fairly good job with cloning in PS I ain't that good!!

Cheers,
Gats

Ballcrawl2.jpg

much better second version. tamed the highlights somewhat, but still slightly blown out. any way you could have bounced the flash off the ceiling?

the shot itself works fine in terms of concept and composition.

Thanks guys,

much better second version. tamed the highlights somewhat, but still slightly blown out. any way you could have bounced the flash off the ceiling?

Yes, but I would have got a picture of the ceiling!! :lol: I only have an mju 300! (Olympus point and shoot.)

Thanks
Gats

Definately like the second version much better. Wish I could see more detail in the face, especially bring out those freckles more. I really like the content of the photo. Something of an oddity, all those small smooth round balls and then a persona head, much larger and with lots of texture and irregularities.

Most reactions

Back