Black and Whites

page_tyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What you're talking about is selective coloring. I kind of like doing it, and a lot of the friends and family I do shots for like it, but it seems a lot of the photogs here don't like it, or are at least very picky about it.

I don't use photoshop, but I do it in Gimp. I just open the image, select a new layer from visible, desaturate in the manner I like for the image, and then erase the B&W top layer of whatever I want to be color. Seems to work well for me I guess. Here's some examples:

IMG_4306e.jpg

IMG_8788BlueFlagE.jpg

http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr60/scorpion_tyr/IMG_4306e.jpg

The way it's generally done (as far as I know) is one of two ways.
1)
* Add an adjustment layer to completely desaturate the image.
* Add a layer mask to this adjustment layer
* Now, with the layer mask selected, using a suitably small brush with an opacity set to around 20% start to paint over the area you wish to bring back into colour. (paint using black, as black hides the layer mask, white brings it to the fore)

2)
* use the pen tool to draw around the item you wish in colour
* make a selection of the pen path and copy and paste the element of the image into a new layer
* desaturate the original layer.

The best way to do selective coloring is to go into your program files, move photoshop (or gimp, depending on what you have) into the recycle / trash bin. Then empty said container. :greendev:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back