Black Blotch/line

twistedtwin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My Nikon D40 causes a black blotch/line on my photos.. You can't see it when your looking in the viewfinder. It only appears after you take the picture.

I have 2 lenses- but neither of them seem to be the cause of the problem. It's somewhere in the camera.. because it's the exact same mark in the same place, no matter the lense.

If you have had the same problem or have an idea on how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate it. :confused:

Just a few quick snaps to show what it is that I am talking about.
kc490.jpg

2llc9om.jpg

2v80c9w.jpg

Is it still under warranty? If so send it back into Nikon , or the company that u purchased it through. If its not under warranty, check your local camera shops, or give Nikon a call via customer/tech support. I'd give u links and numbers but I'm on my cell phone--so its a p.I.t.a. Google nikons main site, go to contacts. Or check your warranty information. I'm sure there's a way to maybe look into the area (after takin the lenses off) maybe there's something that fell in there....inspect it urself(don't take it apart) but look in there see if u can remove that spec urself before paying for services. Wish u luck!

Is it still under warranty? If so send it back into Nikon , or the company that u purchased it through. If its not under warranty, check your local camera shops, or give Nikon a call via customer/tech support. I'd give u links and numbers but I'm on my cell phone--so its a p.I.t.a. Google nikons main site, go to contacts. Or check your warranty information. I'm sure there's a way to maybe look into the area (after takin the lenses off) maybe there's something that fell in there....inspect it urself(don't take it apart) but look in there see if u can remove that spec urself before paying for services. Wish u luck!

Yeah, I took a flash light and looked in it. I took a soft lense cloth and wiped it down, blew into it to try and get dust out.. I couldn't see anything on the mirrors.

I have had the camera since 2008 and I have no clue where the original proof of purchase is, so warranty isn't an option.

Thank you very much, I appreciate you taking the time out to help me.

To anyone else that may have had this same situation occur, I'd appreciate your input as well.

It won't be on the mirror. The mirror flips out of the way just before the shutter opens, so the mirror doesn't have anything to do with the actual photo. Same thing with the viewfinder, and that's why you can't see it.

It's very likely on the sensor...and cleaning the sensor is just something that needs to be done with DSLR cameras. Many people are scared to do it themselves, so they send/take it in, but it's actually very easy to do yourself. The sensor actually has a protective filter over it, so you're basically cleaning a tiny window.

The first, and least invasive thing to try, is to dislodge the spec with air. Don't use that canned air stuff, just get a simple bulb blower. The 'rocket' shaped ones are best.

Read the camera's manual to find out how to engage the sensor cleaning mode. That will hold open the shutter & mirror so you can access the sensor. Hold the camera face down and blow some air into it. Then check it.

If that won't do it, then you might try a brush cleaning. There are sensor brushes that you can buy, although they aren't very cheap. But at least you can use them over and over. Check out Arctic Butterfly.

Lastly is the wet cleaning. You can buy sensor swabs and cleaning fluid. Follow the instructions...swipe the sensor and check it.

To check for dust & specs on your sensor, set the aperture at F22 (give or take) and take a photo of a clear flat surface (a wall etc.) Dust will show up as dark spots, although usually not as dark as you have here, so it must be a big spec.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back