Black Friday in Relation to Photography Sales?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by austriker, Nov 18, 2009.

1. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there,
    first off, sorry i am not sure where i should put this thread. i figured the experienced peeps might know more so im putting it here. feel free to correct mods.
    well so black friday is coming up and i have been looking at getting a d90 or d300 and i was thinking maybe i score a huge deal on a camera on black friday.
    have you guys had any experience in this?
    is it likely that cameras will be a lot cheaper on black friday?
    any stores in particular (best buy?) that have great photo sales??

2. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly, they usually don't drop the prices. I worked at Wolf Camera for a year and experienced 1 black friday (dang was that a good paycheck for that week).

What stores usually do is just add "free" stuff. WC usually added another lens a bag or printer or something to add to the package but usually don't lower the actual price more than $50-100. Usually...

I say this mainly applies to DSLR's. You can get GREAT deals on P&S cameras though!

~Michael~

3. battletone

battletone TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Black Friday is generally about either getting people into the store with, monetarily "cheap" items that are even cheaper, or with larger items that are going to be discontinued, but not labeled as so (sort of like the stuff you will see again after Christmas). I can't believe there will be many DSLRs on that type of list, let alone the one you want. Basically, everything on Black Friday is equivalent to a delayed impulse buy (what an oxymoron) from the short notice in the newspaper advertisement.

4. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ha ha

As I stated, don't expect to get a great deal on a lower priced camera.

~Michael~

5. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    dang.. yea i kinda figured that DSLR are probably too expensive of an item that only a select few of the general public would buy (photographers yay!).. all well i guess it doesnt hurt to ask..

6. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    True it didnt'. Doesn't mean you can't stilll buy one Black Friday. I plan to get a couple accessories, just becuase I'll be out and I need some stuff

~Michael~

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Last year there were some HUGE price cuts on Black Friday on Nikon products--$100 price cuts on quite a number of items. Of course, that was then, and this is a different year. I have read of one Black Friday Nikon Coolpix price cut of the camera going from $139 to $89. Last year, I received a very nice, glossy, 8.5x11 advertisement from Nikon,USA that dovetailed in with a promotion conducted through a professional-level photography equipment and rental shop in my state, with some generous discounts.

Last year at Fry's Electronics, I bought some discounted high-speed CF memory cards on a Black Friday sale, and shortly thereafter, I bought a handful of SanDisk Extreme III--30 MB/second 8-gigabyte CF cards for the blowout price of $29 each from Adorama.com.

Of course, last year at this time the recession was full-blown and the degree of economic panic was much,much higher than it is now,and manufacturers were really going all-out to loosen tight purse strings. Somehow, this year, I do not expect these extensive camera company to local dealer incentive programs to be as frequent; I read the Nikon one was USA-wide last year.

8. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I bought four D90's and two Sigma 150-500's last Black Friday from BuyDig.com because the price on the D90's had been lowered somewhat. They don't give stuff away on Black Friday but if you find the right retailer you can still save some money.

9. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is probably what I'm going to do is get some more CF cards online. Adorama and B&H do some great deals. I didn't really look at them last year, but will this time.

~Michael~

10. Plato

Plato TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    B&H just announced a holiday special, $200 off the price of an XSi but you're right. It's only a Canon, not like it's a real SLR.

11. chyidean

chyidean TPF Noob!

Hahaha fanboy alert!

But yeah, I've been meaning to get my hands on a 24-70mm f/2.8 Nikkor, but chances are it's not one of those typically discounted items for Black Friday.

12. austriker

austriker TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i like where your head is at.