Black Money and Power

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was a shot that I took tonight... This has had very little editing done to it... I'm trying to keep things simple and go from there... I know that one of the rules of photography is to keep it simple stupid until you can learn to use all the elements in the picture to the greatest good (i.e. it can be broken, but I think only after you have mastered the simple). Is it too simple... what do you guys think.

360208563_869b2f71cd.jpg

I love it. I like how you put the rig out of the center fo the frame, but I'd like to see it pushed even further out. Minor, I know. Great photo. I can relate to it growing up in Alberta.

Well, there is nothing much there for us to critique about this photo.
You followed this very sensible "rule" of keeping it simple, and it works. The sky helped you a lot here, and so did your "eye" - you saw that this has potential.

Have you tested out different crops?
Just so you would see how and if at all they would work (for you)?

Have you tested out different crops?
Just so you would see how and if at all they would work (for you)?

no I didn't... I don't really think about that... I have gotten into a little routine when I edit them (this one very little). I'll have to put that as part of the routine... My only problem with that is, it's only a 3.1 MP camera so I'm scared to crop to much... Thanks for the suggestion... one that I plan on taking up when I get home.

Forget crops, it looks just fine. In fact, it looks like a stock photo. Which is tight if that's what you were going for. Do a search for oil fields on Corbis, you'll find yourself in good company.

Forget crops, it looks just fine. In fact, it looks like a stock photo. Which is tight if that's what you were going for. Do a search for oil fields on Corbis, you'll find yourself in good company.

WOW Thanks... I feel honored...

Well I certainly like it, but it could be better if the rig was a hair to the left of where it is now.

Chris, I don't know if you realize it but you placed the oil rig right at the "rule of thirds" for photographic composition. Nice shot.

Love it. Personally I wouldn't crop it. But if you are crop it left not right.

You can try one zoomed in if you want to go for a different effect, i.e. placing greater emphasize on the oil well instead of whole scenary.

It looks great to me, and natural. There's something to be said for a photo that looks good even though it hasn't been heavily edited.

I like it a lot, and can't find a thing wrong with it. The fact that there is nothing going on besides the pump and the horizon means you HAVE to look at the pump and think about it.

Well done.

Most reactions

Back