Black on Black for C&C (BESP)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by pharmakon, Mar 22, 2010.

1. pharmakon

pharmakon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Howdy folks!
    This weeks BESP project was to create a Triptych. We had to take 3 images of our subject and combine them to make one image in three parts. the three images together should also form some kind of compositional relationship.

In this weeks assignment I also made my first attempts to intentionally black out the background of the images, and to add reflections via plexiglass beneath the subject. These were not part of the assignment, but I wanted to work on the technique. What I found most difficult was achieving both of the above at the same time.

I would appreciate your C&C on both the photo as it applies to the assignment as well as my additional attempts as stated above. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]

P.S. I know this subject has been done a thousand times before, I was short on another interesting subject that would fit on a 20x30 plexiglass sheet.

2. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The shots are crisp and I like the lighting. #3 is confusing as I'm not certain what I'm looking at (I know, but then again, I don't really know).

How do you feel the 3 work together compositionally?

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

BESP?

You don't have enough detail in these images. It takes a bit of time to deduce what the subject is. A "skim" light would help these quite a bit.

-Pete

4. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Took me 2 seconds to realize what is was...

5. Live_free

Live_free TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thinking he pulled the hammer and got a pic of the chamber. If you look closely you can see a round.

BTW OP, nice gun. Barrette is a great brand.

6. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lighting on all of em is exquisite and the composition is very well done, although how did you do number 2 do you have some sort of translucent string or something?

7. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I knew what it was the second I looked at it, its a Beretta 9000S, but that is beside the point.

The point is, the subject isn't clearly defined. Even in the center picture, you really have to strain your eyes to make out any detail, is it a watergun? Is it a toy gun? Is it a painting of a gun? The whole thing is just too black.

I think the center picture with the gun falling, and the use of plexiglass reflections are quite ingenious composition techniques... however, the overall the subject itself is washed out.

Here's a little tweeking in PS.... it really makes the image pop, and brings much more attention to the subject.

[​IMG]

8. thebeatles

thebeatles TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry to be a dick, but you ruined those images. :thumbdown:
    They were supposed to be dramatic low key shots and you turned them into a noisy mess.

9. Boomn4x4

Boomn4x4 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you aren't being a dick.. I did ruin the image, it was just a quick PS. My intent wasn't to improve the image, my intent was to show how more detail can draw more attention to the subject.

10. LBPhotog

LBPhotog TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had no issues with the OP's original images and could make out the subject clearly ... I tend to agree with iBats statement I liked the original images and find Boomn's redo to be waaaaay to harsh, and there is even area's of BLOWOUT in the redos ...

I, too, am also curious with iBats as to how the OP got that angle ... unless there is some really good cloning to remove a stand in PP.

11. NateWagner

NateWagner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    agreed... the edit is bad news. I like the image as presented. very nice work. I would love to see a lighting schematic of this.

Again, well done (IMO)

12. Garball

Garball TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Perhaps, we are missing the point or points.

In my mind, a triptych is composed of three related images - not necessarily separate images. If there was some on image 1 within image 2 which was part of image three them you've got a triptych. Consider one properly composed image sliced into three.

Firearms need strategically placed lights with large soft modifiers to render the shape - texture and details of the arms. Your attempt to abstract and simplify them was noble yet slightly unsuccessful. Review what you want the images to say and previsualize the lighting before you retake. Guns are tough unless you make the shapes work for you and compliment each other.
    g