Black Rapids RS-4 R-Strap

LuckySo-n-So

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A little pricey at $54, but extremely comfortable.

Took a minute or two to figure out how to configure it (I'm over 30 and didn't have an eleven-year-old around, so I had to look at the video on their website), but after that, it is a joy to use.

Takes a lot of weight and stress off of my neck, especially when the 70-200mm is on my camera.

I give it 4 out of 5 internets.

I need to get off of my butt and order the RS-5. Glad to hear you like the RS-4, I have yet to hear any negative feedback about their products.

The only negative thing I have to add (I have an RS4), is that you have to detatch it if you want to mount it on a tripod. Not too big a deal, but at least something to note. Hardly a sale-braker though. I absolutely love mine, and may pick up another for my second body.

4 out of 5 also. The one thing I don't care for is the connection to the camera body. Way too much length on the connecting screw. I will screw in my tripod/monopod QR plate instead. Other than that it is a fantastic strap. I have had herniatated disc in my neck, so taking the weight off is a godsend.

Plus, I have double fisted on a few ocassions and it works great. D700 with 24-70mm on Black Rapids strap and D300 with 70-200mm on a monopod. The Black Rapids really is versatile. I can scoot through a crowd and have the camera/lens set to the small of my back, hands free, without a care. The zippered pouch in the padded portion of the strap can hold two CF cards and a few business cards.

+1. I have the RS-5 and love it.

Are they still having issues with the connector? I read even the replacement is breaking...

<SNIP> I will screw in my tripod/monopod QR plate instead. <SNIP>
Not a good idea the plate screw isn't designed for that much weight, can't wait to see your post tiltled "I smashed my camera".

I don't know if your using the old mount rig or the new FastenR-2, but the FastenR-2 is realy a good mount, it came with my RS-7 last week.

RS5 FTW.....i cant wait to order one of these....I actually found it looking for a Xmas gift for my dad and now were both getting them. I cant wait to try it out. Any feedback on balance of the camera? At the moment i just have a D90 with battery grip and a couple prime lenses with my 18-105.

The RS5 balance sis great. I ordered extra Fasten-r units for my other camera and my 70-200 F2.8L IS. With that lens on the camera, it tends to tilt down as it hangs. Moving it to the tripod ring mount solves that, so I just keep one on there too.

I was considering an R-Strap, but decided against it. I didn't like the price ($54 for a strap? Do you get a BJ with that too?), and the fact that it connects to the tripod mount on the camera/lens.

I went with the Mzungu strap. It connects to the left strap loop on the body with a carabiner and spiral ring. So if you're working with a tripod, it's much more convenient. Plus the carabiner allows the body to be quickly released from the strap if need be, and the camera doesn't hang upside down when connected. No need for extra FastenR units either. And it's only $20.

It may not have pockets for memory cards, but that's what pants are for. I've carried around my 80-200 with it and don't feel I would need to padding the R-Strap offers either.

I looked at that one too. I was worried. My thought is that the camera is designed to be supported by both of those strsap loops to hold the weight. This strap uses only one of them and I was not sure how long that would work over a long term. I was afraid it would break under heavy use.

the mzungu looks like something i could make. I personally dont mind spending the extra cash for the storage and the padding.

Most reactions

Back