Black skin & Hair - expert tips and tricks?

Ok, if he is so experienced with lighting and photography, why is he asking how to set a BASIC exposure?
Some people tell folk what to wear. I don't. Ever. It's my job to work around it. I want to see people as they are, and not some contrived crap. And how is setting up every detail professional? You have to be kidding me.
My particular area of photography allows me to control what I want to control. I just chose not to. It's not all about me. It's about finding out who the client is,
You want first hand knowledge? Look at my site. I have shot MANY African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians. And not one of them had any more oily skin than any other race.
IMO, you look foolish when you make blanket statements about anything, race in particular. It's just plain ignorance.

Hi Elsa, if I may, I think some of what may be happening here is that people of lighter skin who do not shoot darker skinned people often have a problem blowing out their photos by over compensating the exposure trying to get enough detail in the shot. This of course results in hot spots which look just like someone with oily skin.

I'm moving on now, ya'll have a good one.

mike

Skin color makes no more difference that the envirornment color.

Sure it does. Many of us have seen photos even by pros of blacks in front of white stucco buildings whether either detail is lost in the face because it is too dark, or the white in the building is totally washed out and overexposed.

I should also point out that about a year ago or so, there was an article in Popular Photography on the tricks and challenges of getting an excellent shot of someone with darker skin. In it, they even said that some films do a poor job of getting the skin colour correct for some nationalities.

So the OP question was certainly valid and so were many of the tips.

skieur

OK shall we put a few things straight before this whole thread becomes something it most certainly shouldn't be - a race issue.
I'll try and give a little background to pacify some who may have been offended by my post.
My name is Rick and I've been tasked to prepare a shoot for 8 models, all black or mixed race. I myself am white and while I've taken shots of just about every type of skin colour imaginable I still find it pertinent to ask for advice when tackling a new area (hair photography in this instance).

Whether I have the experience and know how to set 'basic exposure' settings should be irrelevant - as it happens I know my gear very well but am always open to improvement. I'm asking the question and if you can help then that's great.

So, don't turn this into a race issue, if we're afraid to ask a simple question through fear of wrongly being branded then it's a real shame.
Incidentally, I work for a national foundation set up to help mixed-race kids in society and have an exhibition for Black History Month later this year so let's keep it real please.

Thanks for all the positive contributions, if you feel you're in the position to make another then please do!

thans
Rick

Hi Everyone,

I have found this thread to be very interesting. I am caucasian, but my two sons are both African American. I am not a professional by any means, but I have a lot of experience as I photograph them just about everyday. (They are adorable, what can I say?)

Lighting is key. I find that unless I use a reflector or bounce flash of something, their features get lost. A light source at a 90 degree angle (for me usually a window) and a bounce flash or a reflector on the opposite side usually works the best. I agree with comment about watching the background. If there is a dark background, it is difficult to see their hair. Where this is a shoot for hair, I would suggest a light colored background.

As far as the comment that was made about oily skin, I find this to be untrue. Both of my kids have very, very dry skin. As a matter of fact, there is a plethora of skin care products for people with dark skin. I use oil in their hair and on cream their skin daily.

It's funny that this thread was posted. I am so used to photographing my kids, I often have to think when photographing people with light skin because I will overexpose them if I'm not careful.

Ok, if he is so experienced with lighting and photography, why is he asking how to set a BASIC exposure?
Some people tell folk what to wear. I don't. Ever. It's my job to work around it. I want to see people as they are, and not some contrived crap. And how is setting up every detail professional? You have to be kidding me.
My particular area of photography allows me to control what I want to control. I just chose not to. It's not all about me. It's about finding out who the client is,
You want first hand knowledge? Look at my site. I have shot MANY African Americans, Hispanics, and Asians. And not one of them had any more oily skin than any other race.
IMO, you look foolish when you make blanket statements about anything, race in particular. It's just plain ignorance.

Ok that really gets to me when people start shouting about credentials and other crap to justify statements they make as a PERSONAL choice. You can control your clients cloths but don't. Still you get good shots. Fine more power to you. I don't care.

Just because you choose not to step in and control the photo the way you want doesn't mean that others shouldn't decide to help themselves by seizing more control over the variables, namely the dynamic range considerations of someone with dark skin wearing white.

As for the oil all still very relevant. Specular highlights show up much more against a dark background. Photograph the 8ball and the cue ball in the sun if you don't believe me. Even if not everyone from a given race has oily skin the fact is it shows up much more on some skin colours than others and needs to be considered. Mike's link displays that quite clearly. Again this is a dynamic range issue.

If you have a problem with the thread ignore it. Nothing offensive has been said and the only things being discussed are the practical considerations of the subject.

Wow, I am new here, but not new to photography or forums. I find it a little alarming that a simple question was asked and it turned into a angry tyraid. I don't think anyone had a feeling of racism from the question, until perhaps, the light was directed that way. It would be nice if we could ask an innocent question on here so we can provide our customers with the quality work they deserve. I would hate to think that I went to a job ill-prepared because I was afraid to ask a question in fear of being torn apart on a forum.

Now, the issue at hand. Facts were stated, I agree with John and Matt, use their advice and you should do fine. Good luck, hope this thread did not ruin the excitment of the shoot for you.

Man.. I'm exhausted just reading all this.
I definatley see where the questions coming from. I would ask it as well.

It appears that Rick does know his camera very very well. Quite evident if one was to first look at his webpage before jumping to conclusions.

I will keep all the above tips and advice in mind for future reference.
Thanks to everyone who could continue the intended discussion.

The comment about blacks having more oily skin is a ridiculous stereotype. I know plenty of blacks whose skin is no more or less oily than the next guy. I do not accuser the poster of that comment of being racist, but I do think the comment is the result of misconception and, as mentioned above, stereotyping that is not supported by empirical fact.

I don't think anyone has intentionally tried to turn this thread into one about race, but, comments such as this oily skin thing are just what's needed to prick the skin of most any sensitive fellow human being. The comment would have better been left unstated.

Caruso

The comment about blacks having more oily skin is a ridiculous stereotype. I know plenty of blacks whose skin is no more or less oily than the next guy. I do not accuser the poster of that comment of being racist, but I do think the comment is the result of misconception and, as mentioned above, stereotyping that is not supported by empirical fact.

I don't think anyone has intentionally tried to turn this thread into one about race, but, comments such as this oily skin thing are just what's needed to prick the skin of most any sensitive fellow human being. The comment would have better been left unstated.

Caruso

I don't follow this at all, I mean, it's never once crossed my mind that whether someone has oilier skin or dryer skin would have positive or negative connotations. I have dryer skin, sometimes I wish it were oilier but if someone "accused" me of having dry skin I think that would make me laugh. I mean, if you have negative biases about people with oilier skin then that's your own issue to deal with.

I could be wrong but I think some of what was being referred to is the result of makeup. As a casual observer it seems to me that presently dark-skinned people (women especially) are more likely to take advantage of the way light reflects from their skin, and use products that make their skin "glisten" more. Lighter-skinned women don't get the same effect or not to the same degree. Perhaps it's a passing fad but I know plenty of black women that use those types of products, and it's because it makes them look attractive (because of the contrast) in a way that women of other skin types can't. I know, you're going to say that I'm saying that they "need" it to look good, which is as ridiculous as elsaspet's first distortion. In today's fashion, the "glistening" look is desirably attractive and women with darker skin are able to use that effect to greater benefit than other skin types, perhaps some would call it "oily". Not always but often, I could think of any number of album covers as one source of examples.

Dave

Hi,
just thought I'd report back after the hair shoot last week.
Thanks for the advice I took it onboard and the job was a success (ie. I got paid and the client is happy! :)
Here's a few shots if anyone's interested.

cheers
Rick

84389242.jpg

84389262.jpg

84389196.jpg

Well Rick, I think you did just fine. Happy client and money in the bank is what it's all about.

If a question like this ever comes up again....you can jump in with experience and first hand knowledge..

Hmmmmm, getting paid to photograph beautiful women....nice gig !! hehe

And great shots too :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back