Black & White Conversion in PS - Best Way?

*noobish suggestion* i dont own photoshop but at school i just change it into 8-bit or whichever one in that list

Bethany, These are some examples of two click PhotoShop Black and White adjustments. B&W is such a taste thing no one was is the best it's what you like the look of and speaks to you. All the images including the color original I did a quick Auto Contrast ajustment to. Then applied the one click B&W adjustment. (Sorry about the spelling issues. I just can't spell)

Original Color

Original.jpg

Then Desaturated: image>Adjustments>desaturate

desaterate.jpg

Then Gradient Map: image>adjustments>gradient map>in pulldown choose the black to white option.

Gradientmap.jpg

Then Channel Mixer: image>adjustments>Channel mixer> click the Chrom... box in the lower left hand corner.

Channelmixer.jpg

And lastly the channel mixer and the curves adjustment: same as above then...image>Curves> add points to the line and play.

ChannelandCurves.jpg

I hope this helps I also hope these images show up I've never posted images before.

The nice thing about the channel mixer is that you can adjust based on the image. If you have a lot of noise, you can use less blue channel and more green channel. To help with skin blemmishes, you can use a lot of the red channel.

I too agree....channel mixer is the best way.

I'm working with PS CS2 and using the RAW Convertor built in. is it better to just desaturate using this and play with all the settings? or is it better to turn it to a JPG/TIFF and then using the channel mixer? i currently just desaturate in the RAW convertor rather than use the channel mixer, b/c it saves me a few steps and i can usually still get enough control. what do you guys/gals think?

If you are getting the look you like, then stick with it. There are 1000 ways to do things in Photoshop, and the way that works best for you, is the way to go.

Channel mixer. You can look at how each color looks in monochrome sepratly and then adjust each one so you get the best of all the different colors...

Don't know if that's the best way to explain it, but that's the jist...

Exitspeed said:
Channel mixer. You can look at how each color looks in monochrome sepratly and then adjust each one so you get the best of all the different colors...

Don't know if that's the best way to explain it, but that's the jist...

LOL - thanks... you're like the 5th person to say this...lol. Sorry.. this thread has lived for a longgg time for some reason. :lol:

Information technology (IT) refers to the management and use of information using computer-based tools. It includes acquiring, processing, storing, and distributing information. Most commonly it is a term used to refer to business applications of computer technology, rather than scientific applications. The term is used broadly in business to refer to anything that ties into the use of computers.

Mostly businesses today create data that can be stored and processed on computers. In some cases the data must be input to computers using devices such as keyboards and scanners. In other cases the data might be created electronically and automatically stored in computers.

Small businesses generally need to purchase software packages, and may need to contract with IT businesses that provide services such as hosting, marketing web sites and maintaining networks. However, larger companies can consider having their own IT staffs to develop software, and otherwise handle IT needs in-house. For instance, businesses working with the federal government are likely to need to comply with requirements relating to making information accessible.

The constant upgrade in information technology, along with increasing global competition, is adding difficulty and hesitation of several orders of scale to the business and trade. One of the most widely discussed areas in recent business literature is that of new organizational network structures that hold survival and growth in an environment of growing complexity.

Effective implementation of information technology would decrease liability by reducing the cost of expected failures and increase flexibility by reducing the cost of adjustment. The businesses reaction to the environment remains to be the vital determinant for its effectiveness. The capabilities and flexibilities of computer-communication systems make them gradually more appropriate to businesses by being able to respond to any specific information or communication requirement.
Information Technology is having impact on all trade industries and businesses, in service as well as in manufacturing. It is affecting workers at all levels of organizations, from the executives to middle management and clerks. Information technology is increasingly becoming a basic factor of all types of technologies such as craft, engineering, routine, and non-routine.

The advances in Information Technology would result in remarkable decline in the costs of synchronization that would lead to new, concentrated business structures. It enables the business to respond to the new and urgent competitive forces by providing effective management of interdependence.

In the near future businesses would be facing a lack and a redundancy of information called information glut. To solve the information-glut companies will need to introduce methods for selective thinning out of information. Improvements in telecommunications will make it easier to control business units dispersed over different parts of the world. Advances in telecommunications, would result in increased distance-communication. Indirect communication would be preferred for well-structured information for routine, preprogrammed and decision processes.

Flowers & Florists Wholesalers and Suppliers Directory|DIY Wholesale Tools Suppliers Directory | American Wholesale & USA Wholesalers Directory | French Wholesalers & Suppliers Directory

Most reactions

New Topics

Back