Black & white 'conversion'

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Don Simon, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I didn't want to post this in the Critique section, partly for fear of being completely torn to pieces, but also because I don't know how this will show up on your monitors since it looked very different on the monitor of the computer I scanned it into than the monitor of the one I'm using to post it now. I haven't really got the whole calibration business sorted. Anyway hopefully you'll see something that's reasonably similar to what I'm seeing; please feel free to critique in any way.

This is from a pretty boring set of shots I took yesterday in the local woods. I couldn't find much to shoot so decided simply to test the meters on my cameras. This one was taken using Delta 400 with my Minolta Dynax 5 (35mm) and standard 50mm f1.7 lens, and scanned with a CanoScan 8400F flatbed. Delta is of course a b&w film, hence my use of quotation marks for 'conversion'. This is the photo as scanned from neg and inverted...

[​IMG]

And here's the same image with 'conversion' in Channel Mixer...

[​IMG]

I think I prefer the first one, because of the colouring on the leaves and also I think the effect of the sunlight shining through is more obvious. What do you think? Also what do you think of the conversion? Thanks for looking!

Edit: Doh... I forgot about the max pixel count... fixed now...

2. Holly

Holly TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I prefer the second one.. The top one is to *Red* for me... YOu can lighten up the black and white if you feel its to dark, but I think it looks good. You can use the curves adjustment to lighten it

Hope you dont mind my edit.. Just to show you

[​IMG]

Your darker photo has more *FEEL* to it them Mine I think.. SO light isnt always a good thang ;)

3. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Thanks for the edit, I prefer yours to mine since more detail is visible in your edit, also I'm big on high-contrast. There doesn't seem to be much detail showing up on mine, although that could be just this monitor. Anyway thanks again!

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm with Holly here ... when I scan my negatives (that was when my scanner still did the job for me ... seems like no one no longer builds anything "for eternities" ... :grumpy: ), I usually have to convert them to true black+white, too!

And I like Holly's edit ... might have suggested the same, but only suggested.