Black Widow - Oooo Boogie Woogie

NateS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Sorry for posting 8 different shots, I just couldn't decide which of them to post...so posting all 8 "keepers".

1. This was when I flipped over the rock. I figured there would be a BW in this rock pile but wasn't sure where. This is the only shot before she took off.
p550841313-4.jpg

2. The rest are from her as she re-established the portion of her web that got messed up when I flipped the rock.
p911215877-4.jpg

p945208476-4.jpg

p555665522-4.jpg

p555244737-4.jpg

6. Bum Shot
p553727509-4.jpg

p704001418-4.jpg

8. ...and finally, she ended with a small snack
p996102813-4.jpg

Nice find. Though i love macro, my arachnophobia is probably going to keep me away from spider shots, so it falls on brave folks like you to give the spidey's some attention. lol

I personally like 1 and 7 the best.

Seriosly, I think you need to move Nate, LOL.

i hate spyders.

Black Widow (or a Brown Recluse) - no way I'm sticking around for more than a couple shots from a distance. I'm a spider wimp, particularly the poisonous ones.

Nice work, as usual! I'll show these to my son later, he'll love them.

Nice find. Though i love macro, my arachnophobia is probably going to keep me away from spider shots, so it falls on brave folks like you to give the spidey's some attention. lol

I personally like 1 and 7 the best.

Thanks. 2 and 7 are among my favs.

Seriosly, I think you need to move Nate, LOL.

Move? What on earth would I photograph if I moved?....unless you mean move somewhere with more and cooler bugs.:mrgreen:

i hate spyders.

Okay

Black Widow (or a Brown Recluse) - no way I'm sticking around for more than a couple shots from a distance. I'm a spider wimp, particularly the poisonous ones.

Nice work, as usual! I'll show these to my son later, he'll love them.

Thanks. It was unnerving to say the least. It took me a good 20 minutes of shooting before I was willing to get anywhere close to 1:1...never did get any good shots that close as I was a little shaky. She moved around A LOT which is what made me most nervous.

Wow. I like Spiders, but we don´t have any seriously toxic spiders in Germany. hink I would have lots of respect for this kind of spider o-o
But what a wonderful beauty it is with its colours.

Nate your shots always inspire me to go for a macro lens as my next purchase. Great shots. Im 95% convinced.

Thank you. Pick up a macro...you won't regret it (except you might get addicted as I have).

Wow. I like Spiders, but we don´t have any seriously toxic spiders in Germany. hink I would have lots of respect for this kind of spider o-o
But what a wonderful beauty it is with its colours.

Thanks for commenting...no doubt that this girl deserves respect.

Love 'em. I was just thinking the other day I would like to find one to shoot. It's got to be hard not to blow out some spots as shiny as they are.

Love 'em. I was just thinking the other day I would like to find one to shoot. It's got to be hard not to blow out some spots as shiny as they are.

Thanks. I was happy to finally get this set of shots under my belt...as a insect lover I felt this was one critter I should have some good shots of.

For me it was impossible...I have a pretty good lighting setup and even if I underexposed them badly I'd get hotspots on her back. I actually cloned out the hotspots on her back in post on most of these (a few had angels that didn't get hotspots though).

So what lens did you shoot these with. I have been toying with the Nikkon 85mm macro but wouldnt rule out an different brand. I would love to be able to buy a macro lens and a sb-600 at the same time.

So what lens did you shoot these with. I have been toying with the Nikkon 85mm macro but wouldnt rule out an different brand. I would love to be able to buy a macro lens and a sb-600 at the same time.

I used the Tamron 180mm f3.5. Nikon 85mm would be great and I've heard excellent reviews on it, but no way would I ever attempt to get as close of shots as these with only 85mm. This one being so active....I was sweating with the 180mm.

That said, there are times when I wish I had a shorter macro lens and have been thinking of picking up a Tamron 90mm f2.8 as well (and double it for portraits).

We dont have many freakishly poisonous bugs here. Much to cold in the winter. Closest poisonous creepy crawlers are the rattlers about 45 min south. And no freaking way I am every going to shoot them with a camera. I have looked at that Tamron and I think will be whatever better deal I can get. I have about a 800$ budget but I want a SB-600, a macro lens that would dble for portraits and a CPF. Only thing that I wonder is would I be better with the Nikon for resale if I get bored of the lens.

We dont have many freakishly poisonous bugs here. Much to cold in the winter. Closest poisonous creepy crawlers are the rattlers about 45 min south. And no freaking way I am every going to shoot them with a camera. I have looked at that Tamron and I think will be whatever better deal I can get. I have about a 800$ budget but I want a SB-600, a macro lens that would dble for portraits and a CPF. Only thing that I wonder is would I be better with the Nikon for resale if I get bored of the lens.

Buy used and you get rid of the resale drop and you can afford more. I saw a Sigma 150mm f2.8 for sale on another forum not long ago for something like $525....Great deal and would be cheap enough to allow you to grab an SB-600 as well.....of course, I've seen some incredible shots with the T90 as well, so either way you'd be set for sharp images. I'd just keep your eyes open on the used market for awhile unless you're in a big hurry.

...even without venemous (not poisonous...just fyi) bugs, the longer length makes it easier to keep from scaring them away. Very helpful when shooting skittish bugs in my opinion.

Most reactions

Back