Black Widow Spiders

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by RKW3, Oct 20, 2007.

1. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    These were shot in my backyard. :stun:. Comments appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. (I know it's a little blurry, but I actually think it makes it more spooky)
    [​IMG]

Thanks for viewing.

2. Antarctican

Antarctican TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Gaaaaaaaah!

Quite the wild web there. And nice capture of the distinctive red hourglass shape on the black widow. (*shiver*)

3. KamaKazzy

KamaKazzy TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    What a beautiful species! I used to have one...and several in the back yard that I would monitor.

4. kierukei

kierukei TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice shots.
    ... And terribly frightening. :stun:

5. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Whooo! I am glad we only get the ordinary garden spiders here! Black widow... whoa. Tough. Nice photos, though, particularly the first. Net-wise, this spider's a bit of a messy, eh?

6. Roger

Roger TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    good shots, the black widow looks very similar to the redback from Oz, not deadly but painful...now the funnel web, that's a scary spider with fangs that can pierce a fingernail.

7. RKW3

RKW3 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you, I think it's against the law to take a picture of a black widow without displaying it's underbelly!

Beautiful? LOL that's not the thought going through my mind when I'm walking through my back yard barefoot at night! But, these spiders really aren't very aggressive unless provoked. They are alright. Thanks for the comment.

First off, thanks for the bumpage of this thread!:hail: I don't always like bumping a thread, because I feel that if people like my photos they will reply to it. Thanks for you reply, it's much appreciated.

Thanks LaFoto. It's always nice getting a reply from you! Yes, they have very unique webs, which are always made low to the ground. My dad says that he can tell if any spider web belongs to a black widow or not.
    Also, I think my wrestling coach got bit by a Black Widow. Because he woke up one morning with a HUGE spider bite on his arm. He went to the ER and they immediately cut his arm open to cut all the bad stuff out. (then he showed us the hole in his arm! Uck.)

Yeah, funnel webs are even NASTIER than black widows. I once saw this thing on the internet about a time somebody put a black widow in a jar with a funnel web, and only put one insect for food. Soon the widow was found shribbled up dead on the ground. :(