Blackberry images are crystal clear and sharp

tadd5181

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My Blackberry (Curve, 8330) has a camera of minimal megapixels. When I download the pictures on my PC, and have full screen, they are crystal clear and extremely sharp.

How can this be with small megapixel. Will I get sharp pictures if I have them printed? If no, why not?

What is the resolution setting on your computer screen? For example, mine's 1280 x 1024. The PPI (pixels per inch) is 72 (or something close to that). So I don't need a huge digital image to fill the screen.

A typical standard for printing, is 300 PPI. So for a 4x6 print, you would want an image that is 1200 x 1800 pixels.

In other words, you don't need a lot of pixels for an image to look good on a screen, but you need a lot more for a good looking print.

My Blackberry (Curve, 8330) has a camera of minimal megapixels. When I download the pictures on my PC, and have full screen, they are crystal clear and extremely sharp.

How can this be with small megapixel. Will I get sharp pictures if I have them printed? If no, why not?

Sharpness and megapixels are inversely proportional for the same equipment. Think about it, you're capturing minimal data 2megapixels with a small plastic lens. If you "upgrade" to 10mpx all of a sudden you'll be able to see how unsharp the crappy little lenses are on mobiles since the defects will show. So if your phone was actually 10mpx it would look a lot less sharp if you zoomed to 100%

A hell of a lot of cameras with only 2mpx look adequately sharp.

2mpx will produce a photo quality 6x4 print without any problem.

Most reactions

Back