1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Blacksmith

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by ssocal, Jan 1, 2008.

1. ssocal

ssocal TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Blacksmith making a souvenir, making a horseshoe into a heart.

[​IMG]

2. AncientSnapper

AncientSnapper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow - that's fun - I hope you dont mindm but I think we could enhance this image along these lines to get more impact
    [​IMG]
    pity it is a bit blurred with the slow sync flash, but you have certainly captured the mood nicely.

3. ssocal

ssocal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Much better, I'm still a beginner at photoshop, so I must ask, what did you do?

Thanks in advance.

4. AncientSnapper

AncientSnapper TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm still learning too and I find it extremely helpful to see other people's pictures and try playing with them. I have gathered a number of photoshop actions (you can download them from my web site) that help images - for your image, I started by making the image a bit more contrastly using Levels and then used the LocalContrast Action which brings out detail in non-contrasty images. I then added a bit of Lab saturation. Finally there was a fair bit of noise, especially in his trousers, so I used NeatImage to remove it.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that post-processing is almost as important as get the shot right in the first place - so practising on lots of different images helps one learn quite fast. Have a look at how I did my "Wow" picture to see what I mean - I started with a dull picture and managed to change it into something quite interesting.

Good luck