Blarrrrrgg; Broken Lens

musicaleCA

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My shiny EF 50mm won't focus. Blast it all. Not to mention Canon's online repair form doesn't work. F-ing brilliant.

In any case, this means I need to rent another 50mm 1.4 USM for the next few weeks, and I need it before this weekend. Are there some reputable websites you guys would suggest to rent from (note that they must ship to Canada).

Grrr. Today was a very mixed day (I got it lots of great shots with my 50 before it...met an unfortunate turn of events...but I can't edit any of them because if I do my computer will overheat. Erg. FML.)

Bah, well, disregard now, though I'm still interested in anyone's thoughts if I have to do this in future. I uncovered rentalens.ca , and practically begged them to ship via priority courier to me (and explaining that I'd cover the cost). They're the only website that I could find that ships to Canada that had reasonable prices. *sigh*

Do you have a Henry's Photo in BC because they do some rentals (I think)??
In Ontario we have another place called Headshots that seem pretty good.

Yeah, I tried looking for a Henry's but they're an Eastern thing. And headshots is in Ontario, only Ontario. The only place I know of here that rents is called Beau Photo, but their site sucks and makes no mention of a Canon 50mm prime of any kind. :-/

I must be a week older than you because you are having the week that I had last week.... things can only get better.
How about calling your local camera club and seeing if there is a kindly soul about (one with a spare EF 50mm) who could .......lend you a lens.

actually, I'm about a billion years older than you but who's counting

Do you have a Henry's Photo in BC because they do some rentals (I think)??
In Ontario we have another place called Headshots that seem pretty good.

Just to clarify for future readers;
Headshots IS Henry's and will ship rentals out to any Henry's location.

Thanks. :thumbup:

"Blarg" is an entirely meaningless phenome that I occasionally use to express exasperation. :greenpbl:

If only I lived in the US; so many lens rental places that are ever so cheap and will ship overnight.

On a brighter note, I gave my broken lens to my favourite guy at the local Lens & Shutter today, and they'll be shipping it to Canon for repair. Too bad it has to go all the way to Toronto. And RentALens sent an email back today asking how quickly I needed it; considering they're paying attention on a Sunday, I have a little more faith I'll get he replacement by the end of the week.

I must be a week older than you because you are having the week that I had last week.... things can only get better.
How about calling your local camera club and seeing if there is a kindly soul about (one with a spare EF 50mm) who could .......lend you a lens.

actually, I'm about a billion years older than you but who's counting

And just how do you know how old I am? I wouldn't be surprised; I've probably written my age somewhere public. o_O Glad to know I'm not the only one who's had this sort of incident recently. If anything, I see that this is a hard lesson but I'll learn how to recover swiftly and as gracefully as I can from such disaster.

Toronto!

And I was miffed I had to send my D90 to California from Iowa. I sent it 5/6. I get it back this Wednesday 6/17. 3 days to diagnose and repair, the rest waiting for a part.

I hope Canon does better for you.

Me too, but I haven't heard any good things about their repair service. The guy at L&S told me that I could take it to a repair place like....VanCam, was it?... but they'd charge me no matter what. Since it's not apparent on the outside of the lens what...unfortunate circumstances resulted in the damage, hopefully Canon will repair it for free. >.>

I know you probably did, but did you check the AF/MF switch on the lens? I have a kind of similar story with my computer. My monitor didnt work so I try a new graphics card, didn't help, new motherboard thinking the PCI-E slot is burnt, didnt help, took my monitor to the store I work at to check it and it works, I try a new cable And it was working. A $6 repair ended up costing me about $200. I learned my lesson. Always check the obvious things first ;D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back