Blew it with this roll ... but ...

Have you checked the actual shutter speeds of the cameras you're using? Is 1/125 reasonably close to 1/125, or is the shutter slogging along and you're actually shooting at 1/15?

Focal plane shutters in older film cameras are prone to this. And usually, the higher the desired speed, the further off they are.

Good tip, I hadn't thought of that ... But I've shot several other rolls with this camera, with the external meter and the cameras internal meter, and they really did look okay.

@timor ... I can't really see a difference in the size of the grain per se ... Maybe in the cloud pic ... All the negatives are about as dark as all the others ...

I have to believe it was the developer temp. And I must've really cooked the daylights out of it with that grain, jeez. I mean that's 125 ...

At any rate, I'm happy with these three(most important thing after all right? :) ) ... and that makes wrecking the roll worthwhile. I actually may try pushing a properly exposed roll a couple stops with portraits just for the hell of it, to get the specifics down.

Well, OK. I see #3with much more gritt. To me it looks like negative was underexposed and then, thanks to high temperature of developer and time not corrected to it you pushed the film by some 3 stops, possibly 4. I have 3 x700 and none reads correctly the density of red filter. Usually they under expose by 1stop comparing to spot meter. In effect you've got less exposed grains which hot developer caused to grow rapidly to be big. FP 4 in DDX should be grainless.

Last edited:
GRAINLESS off course, not brainless. (Smart android autocorrect). Sorry

Most reactions

Back