The_Traveler

Completely Counter-dependent
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.lewlortonphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Because my life circumstance has me grounded indefinitely, I keep myself busy with re-editing pictures that I like from earlier trips.

When in Myanmar, on my way back from Mawlanyaing, I went to Kinpun which is a small town that exists specifically to support pilgrims who go to the Golden Rock. While there I went for a walk and fell into a conversation with this monk.

He was quite blind and seemed to spend his time sitting and seeing the shadows of pilgrims as they passed on the path up to the rock.

I got drinks and some little snacks, which seemed to give him quite a laugh. We talked very sketchily about his life and he wished me good luck on my trip and said that I could take his picture.

p2065509572-5.jpg

Getting there was quite an adventure and I wrote about it here Pictures of Involuntary Memory

This is the bus from the crossroads. Because I was a visitor - and old - they insisted I sit up front rather than on top.

upload_2016-7-30_16-28-11.png

Last edited:
As always great stuff Lew.

B & W all day long. Great portrait.

I don't know which I like better B&W or color. But either way it is a great photo! :)

Color for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the BW needs a bit more work but I certainly like the way it brings out his hands.

I remember him looking at the little wrapped snacks I brought, turning them over and over. It was late in the day so he probably couldn't eat but he was fascinated by them for some reason. When I left he took my hand for a moment, quite surprising because I had assumed that monks don't touch people casually. His hands were interesting; his skin was dry and smooth, like parchment and his hand was light, as if it was empty.

That was one of those signal moments from my trips that I remember.
It is disorienting that I can look at a map on my computer and see exactly the path I walked some 12000 miles from here.

Kinpun on Google Maps
I met the monk somewhere under the second printing of Kyaiktiyo Pagoda Road.

I find maps always interesting. Especially maps that aren't real, maps that countries and places that are no longer there ... I find romantic ... Always wondering what life was like in the older country.

Last edited:
I definitely paused in admiration when I scrolled past the black and white version, but there is Indeed a story in that shot- no matter what the saturation. Bravo.

Thank you Lew for sharing that moment with us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lew, I like them both for different reasons. In either case very powerful and emotive. His expression and body language say a lot.

Sergio

Most reactions

New Topics

Back