Blown Out Sky... ALWAYS?!?!?

...hows the exposure and WB on this image.
The WB looks okay, 'though this monitor isn't necessarily perfectly calibrated. The exposure isn't bad, but there's a loss of detail in the white of the dress, and you have background highlights which are brighter than the subject; as the human eye is always attracted to bright over dark, this serves to pull the eye away from the subject and to the background. 1-2 stops of fill light would have knocked down the highlights and produce a better overall image with reduced dynamic range.

Thanks I appreciate your feedback. Curious what your thoughts are on Mastin Labs presets? Anyone in here use them?

...hows the exposure and WB on this image.
The WB looks okay, 'though this monitor isn't necessarily perfectly calibrated. The exposure isn't bad, but there's a loss of detail in the white of the dress, and you have background highlights which are brighter than the subject; as the human eye is always attracted to bright over dark, this serves to pull the eye away from the subject and to the background. 1-2 stops of fill light would have knocked down the highlights and produce a better overall image with reduced dynamic range.
BTW, there is no detail in the dress. Its white, stretchy jersey knit cotton so there is no detail on it. Its plain.

I think what I dont like are Joe's sarcastic remarks. He sounds like a know it all. I personally dont like dealing with people who act pious and hot headed. He's making dumb jokes that really arent necessary. I dont need his criticism. And to be honest, I used to come to this place a lot for help but stopped b/c everyone's "constructive criticism" was not friendly by any means.

He didn’t sound like that at all. However you sounded like you don’t have a clue what your doing (overexposing images and wondering why the sky is blown out) and yet you are taking clients money. Things like this don’t go over well around other photographers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reason behind blown out areas is the overexpose which you need to look forward too and overcome.

Well Kitkatdubs, your sky is blown out because it's a lot lighter than your foreground and as far as I can see there's four ways of dealing with it.

1. Lighten the foreground
2. Darken the sky
3. Shoot different exposures and combine in post
4. Shoot somewhere and some time where the foregound and sky are evenly lit.

...BTW, there is no detail in the dress. Its white, stretchy jersey knit cotton so there is no detail on it. Its plain.
Every fabric has detail; Shadows, folds, the weave, etc. A garment should never appear as a single, detail-less piece of fabric, unless it is exposed incorrectly.

I think what I dont like are Joe's sarcastic remarks. He sounds like a know it all. I personally dont like dealing with people who act pious and hot headed. He's making dumb jokes that really arent necessary. I dont need his criticism. And to be honest, I used to come to this place a lot for help but stopped b/c everyone's "constructive criticism" was not friendly by any means. With that being said, hows the exposure and WB on this image.

The WB is blue -- her skin tone is off and the dress is blue -- probably should be white. You know you blew out the sky so crop it off. Otherwise the image is flat. The large expanse of lawn is a problem because your subject isn't separating well from the background -- another aspect of insufficient contrast. And Tirediron is right about the detail loss in the dress. Here's some of those problems adjusted. And the best solution to the exposure/contrast problems would be to balance the lighting with front fill. I am trying to help -- you did ask for help.

Joe

temp.jpg

Most reactions

Back