Blown out sky

OK heres a colour sky :) its a bit bright, kinda quick job again.. but you get the idea :D

Blownoutskyattempt3.jpg

I occaisionly visit other forums and one of the forums in particular would critize this added-sky shot for being fake, rendered, nonphotography image, etc. The only photshop edits they accept are the simple stuff that they themselves can administer (levels, contrast, and frames).

As for myself, I condone anything that achieves an image that is more pleasurable to view. I particularly enjoy polarized dark blue gradient skys with dimentional fluffy clouds.

I think the original shot as well as the edits are very pleasurable to view.
I like the comp, the exposure, the detail, and the focus. It is tack sharp.
You've done very well. Thanks for sharing.

I like the climber's pose. I prefer the color, but with a curves adjustment to boost contrast. It's a little washed out as-is. The sky in the color one looks good, and I wouldn't have guessed it was added in. I'd also either crop a chunk off either the right side or left side. I think either works, but each gives a much different feel. As is, the composition feels a bit static to me. Probably because the subject is dead-center.

Nice job Fate!

Selective Color/White method: A quick way to color a blown-out sky (that also fills in the gaps in trees and branches, etc. - no picky selections necessary). No clouds, just solid blue sky.

1. LOOSELY select sky, making sure not to include other white/light non-sky areas (be sure to include trees & branches w/white sky in them)

2. go to Image>Adjustments>Selective Color (or use Selective Color adjustment layer found in the Layers menu)
Check ‘Absolute’ at bottom
Choose “Whites” from the dropdown

3. Adjust Cyan, Magenta & Yellow sliders until get the blue shade you wish. (in your pic, choose a hue that matches the "blue" hills in background)
slide Cyan & Magenta to plus side (more Cyan than Magenta)
slide Yellow to 0 or to minus side.
slide Black to adjust brightness - or, I prefer to leave it a little over-saturated and use the Layers "opacity" to adjust the final brightness.

4. Use History Brush to undo any selection mistakes - often not needed at all.

5. adjust "opacity" in Layers window, if necessary.

6. This also works on skies that are half washed-out just at one side (half blue, half white) - you can even out the color to be a solid blue, or adjust to a half blue, half light blue - whichever you prefer.

Most reactions

Back