Blue hour photography tool

Fortunatelly this isn't magic but works in most cases. It depends on ISP a lot, if they using the same IP pool for a wide area then accuracy decreasses. For this calculation 100km (~60 miles) only makes a few minutes difference so no big deal.

I'm currently working on an easy to use manual location change function so this problem will be eliminated for visitors with really bad accuracy (eg: AOL users)

Doesn't know exactly where I am located, but it knows exactly where Embarq's server for my DSL service is. So, if I wanted to drive a couple of hours to where the server is to take photos during the blue hour, I know when to leave my house.

I saw no way of putting a specific location on the map. Perhaps because I'm using Firefox? It locates me near Warren, Ohio, of which I am in Pennsylvania. Warren, OH is where the server is for Embarq I am guessing. Makes me laugh when people put those things in signatures that say, "Your IP is xxxxxxx and you are located in xxxxx", as if there is some magic to getting that info. Pretty bad magic, it's always wrong.

Thanks guys the ideas and reports about the site, I really appreciate it and helps a lot.

Hi Guys
I've made the first major update, and added some AJAX boxes to select country / city. It is still in beta status so there may be bugs and some issues but I hope it will work good. I'm also planning to add a box to select states to eliminate problems like same city names in different states in a country.

It is a good idea, just not accurate for me, and has a glitch where it woudlnt' show city, just kept showing listings for U.

It is a good idea, just not accurate for me, and has a glitch where it woudlnt' show city, just kept showing listings for U.

Continue writing the name of your country and city and it should show it in the list, if you see it, click on it to complete.

Hang on, when I grew up in Germany "Die Blaue Stunde" was something distinctly different... and definitely not for kids!

I went looking for just this kind of tool, and ironically I found reference to it here on TPF. :) Thanks. Site looks nice.

I added this site to my bookmarks. Great information even thought some there might not always be a perfect blue sky its about getting out and taking photos. Being informed when blue hour is going to happen is great.

Great job on the website.

I've found this site provides adequate information:

Complete Sun and Moon Data for One Day

Its very easy for US locations. For other locations you need a map for lat. and lon. info and need to know the local time zone, both easily found with simple web searches.

That doesn't tell you the blue hour, though... though I assume thats a computation of some kind to get it?

That doesn't tell you the blue hour, though... though I assume thats a computation of some kind to get it?

It tells you sunset and end of civil twilight which are two good reference points. Weather and horizon elevation make way too much difference to worry with anything more "precise" in the way of calculations. You need to be ready to shoot before sunset and expect the good shooting to be over with somewhere around half way to 2/3rds of the way to the end of twilight.

Most reactions

Back