Blue Moon Tonight

Olympus E300

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fsharpphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Get your cameras ready folks!! Who's gonna try and capture the blue moon tonight? It only happens once every 19 years!!

I hope the wife doesn't have anything (anywhere) planned for me tonight...I wouldn't mind giving this a go!

Cheers!
- Dan

BLUE MOON

we must have ad the same thought

Link

Great minds eh :p

Overcast here in NJ probably no chance. Guess i'll be waiting a while. Good luck, and post some results.

we must have ad the same thought

Link

Great minds eh :p

Darn! Sorry I missed your post TokZik. Had I seen it before posting, I wouldn't have bothered. No sense in being redundant...LoL. Truth is, I didn't do a search for it before posting. But like ya said, "great minds"!!

I sure hope I don't have anywhere to be. Its supposed to clear up here (southeastern Manitoba Canada) later tonight. They're forecasting a chilling -29C but if I'm around the house, I'm gonna get that camera outside and try my hand at this.

Can any of the pros offer some advice when shooting the moon? I would assume that SHUTTER PRIORITY would be the best bet. Slow the shutter right down...What else, turn the ISO up a tad? I think I'll try the 70-300mm for this. Might even add the 2x teleconverter...I guess it all depends on how big (close) the moon is...Do I sound excited? LoL...I sure hope I'm around for this!! I have a feeling that this is can be a very difficult task - moon shooting I mean.

Cheers & good luck all! Lets hope that those with more experience than myself chime in and offer a little "heads up" for this shoot. The "do's and don'ts" so to speak.

- Dan

Get your cameras ready folks!! Who's gonna try and capture the blue moon tonight? It only happens once every 19 years!!

I hope the wife doesn't have anything (anywhere) planned for me tonight...I wouldn't mind giving this a go!

Cheers!
- Dan

BLUE MOON

Actually it's a New Year's Eve Blue Moon that happens every 19 years. A blue moon happens every 2.5 years or so (the next will be August 2012).

...my picture sux, but i will have another go once the moon moves to a little more comfortable shot.

moon.jpg

It's raining here.

Not too worried about it though... All it is is the second full moon in a month - the moon won't actually be blue.

astrostu has an excellent tutorial on lunar photography somewhere one here.

Remember - the moon is lit by direct sunlight, so you will need a faster shutter speed than you might think.

Last edited:
my problem is that i dont wanna go out side and leaning out the window creates me shaking and thus the camera shakes too haha

but it should be in a slightly better place in the next half hour

And its not actually going to be blue....but have fun braving the cold, lol!
Yep. That's just what they call the second full Moon in the same month.

And as icassell mentioned, it doesn't happen often and is the source of the saying, "Once in a blue moon."

And its not actually going to be blue....but have fun braving the cold, lol!
Yep. That's just what they call the second full Moon in the same month.

And as icassell mentioned, it doesn't happen often and is the source of the saying, "Once in a blue moon."

That's a handy piece of information to have right there! Cheers!!

On an even brighter note, my E3 JUST arrived!! I'm stoked!!

- Dan

some advice when shooting the moon?

LoL, I don't think I'd be "shooting the moon" in -29C, you'd be literally freezing your butt off. :lmao:

Well...Us Canadians are a hearty bunch! Nothing a little rum can't fix. Don't forget, we invented ICE hockey and out favorite past times are ICE fishing and SNOWmobiling...LoL. -29C is a walk in the park (since there is no wind tonight).

Cheers!
- Dan

FWIW, here's a ballpark settings for shooting the moon:

Full Moon - f/11@ 1/ISO So, if you use ISO 100, then f/11, 1/100, ISO 100
Half Moon -f/8 @ 1/ISO
Quarter Moon - f/5.6 @ 1/ISO

Most reactions

Back