Blue & Orange Abstracts (BESP - P2)

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kundalini, Mar 14, 2010.

1. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bitter's Evil School of Photography - Project 2 - Lines in Abstract.

We're supposed to give an intent. My intent was to satisfy the assignment..... 2 shots of lines in an abstract form. We're also supposed to ask for specific C&C. Well........, what do you think?

REPLACED ORIGINAL PHOTOS..... SEEN HERE and HERE

Apeture f/20, Shutter Speed 8s, ISO 200, Focal Length 105mm, -2.0EV

[​IMG]

Apeture f/11, Shutter Speed 1/30, ISO 200, Focal Length 105mm, -2.0EV

[​IMG]

I reserve the right to exchange photos until the deadline has passed. :biggrin:

Thanks for looking. Comments always welcomed. Critique always appreciated.​

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Olympus E300

Olympus E300 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dig the 1st shot! The center rust line remains centered throughout the photo...You're eyes have no choice but to follow it up to the top of the silo and focus on the object on the top...I also appreciate the detail (pattern) that you were able to capture in the galvanizing. If your assignment was lines in abstract, then I think you've done a very good job. The horizontal lines created by the ribbing in the sheet metal work well against the vertical rust lines while coupled with the upward perspective of the shot.

Just my $0.02
    - Dan

3. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The DOF on 1 is really distracting and I believe this could be cropped a bit to get rid of the long DOF that is out of focus.

The second one is a cool pattern but it doesn't really grab your attention and could use something that makes you more interested in the subject. Although this is abstract im still wary of it.

Abstract should be attention grabbing and make you think about all the possibilities that there are in a photo. These (at least the second one) make you think: oh look, a roof, and then you walk away.

4. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country just north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    I know it is to be abstract but shingles on a flat roof???

I guess that maybe considered abstract.

5. er111a

er111a TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    mmmm not really a fan of number one prolly because I have a pic very simular too it lol but the second one it pretty cool

6. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These hold some potential but it still fail. One key factor in abstract is the unknown...Abstracts work because we can't recognize what they are. As soon as we can spot the pattern and identify what it is it ceases to be an abstract. Sadly I can clearly see that these lines in the first are the corrugation of the steel tubing and the second image are roofing shingles.

The first one holds potential but not as shot, I would suggest backing up a few steps, lowering your shot angle to a field of view below the point where you can see the pieces sticking out the side and shooting with as deep a DOF as you can muster. Fill the frame with nothing but the lines cast by the steels shadows and possibly the one rust line.

7. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Dan. I like the first one. Great shot.

8. Olympus E300

Olympus E300 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is something that I neglected to consider when considering the purpose (or exercise). I like the shot as a shot...However...I am affraid that Battou might be correct. Perhaps as an abstract, it does not work... :confused:

9. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I had a good teacher....This was a lesson I learned some time ago when I was working with extreme macro. I had a shot where I wanted to create a guess macro photo. Them in and of them selves require some element of abstract however there is a point where the photo can go beyond a guessing game and into the relm of true abstract. This image did just that, Overshot macro guessing game material and straight into abstract. When I asked about why it failed, what he told me was what abstract was. I just thought I would pass along the knowledge.

The personal opinion that my experience has lead me to is that abstract lines are easiest to find with good macro equipment and deep DOF's. Though not necessary, it is much easier.

Example #2
    Example #3
    Example #4

10. Tulsa

Tulsa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it was touched on above, but I will give my opinion.
    Abstract is not what these shots are. These are shots of a silo and roof with lines, but it seems you did not get in depth on this project.
    IMO, abstract needs to leave the viewer thinking, What am I looking at? It can take thought to get that sort of shot, but if thats what the assignment is, then I think these images do not pass.

11. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I am a bad teacher. :grumpy:
    But at the same time, not one person has asked me to define what is and isn't abstract. This project was to teach you to look at the world around you in a different way. In this case to look for compositions made up of line(s). I disagree with it being "easiest" with a macro lens. I know it's your opinion, and I don't mean to be "combative", but interesting abstract compositions are all around you. You need to look at the world differently, though. None of the following examples were taken with a macro lens, at close focal distance.

Black Sun
    Focal length:250mm
    [​IMG]

The Saw
    Focal length: 250mm
    [​IMG]

Burnt Toast
    Focal length 179mm
    [​IMG]

I'm with Stupid
    Focal length: 100mm
    [​IMG]

The purpose of this project was to think purely about composition. It isn't to teach one to become an abstract photographer, but the value of this exercise lends itself to many other styles of photography.

12. iBats

iBats TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

1 is sick lol