blue

batmura

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Riva_HDR_Colour.jpg

I've grown very weary of the fuzzy water due to ND filter shots....they're becoming so common that some that are not well-realized are being released into the wild where people who have not seen 4,000 of them heap praise on them. The over-lightness of the foreground rocks in this shot makes the whole photo look way,way over-processed. You've made some successful shots by using long exposure times by means of ND filtration, but this shot just does not quite measure up to your normally high standards of execution.

Thanks for the comments, everyone. Derrel, I actually didn't use any ND filters for this shot. My aim was to experiment with auto bracketing and do an HDR that looks natural. You're right the composition is nothing special, but for an HDR image it's been a good learning experience for me.

I would like to have seen the composition opposite of what it is, with more rocks and less sky. Your idea of realistic HDR here is interesting, but I have to agree the rocks are a little over done.

HDR is a fine art. When you first start you can get a little carried away how pumchy and "cool" some effects can look. Over time you will realise how over cooked and fake it can make an Image look.
Then you can really take control of it.
HDR doesn't always work for every part of an Image so sometimes you can benefit by creating 2 Images. 1 created for the sky and 1 for the foreground, then blend them in photoshop. Keep practising with it.

Most reactions

Back