Blueberry Ice Globe for Critique and help

annamaria

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi I took this picture of my blueberry plant that had ice covered buds during the winter storm we had a few days ago. It was very windy and very cold!!! I used a Nikon D5100 camera with 18-55 lens using a Fotodiox Macro extension tube set, it does not have auto focus. It's a little tricky since the slightest movement creates blur. I did use a basic tripod. I did some minor adjustments in LR. I know it needs more work and I notice it has spots as well. Still trying to learn my way around LR and use of the healing brush. Just wanted some critiques and what you all think of the photo itself. Any suggestions are welcomed. Forgot to mention that the background was snow.

Thanks
blueberry bud ice globe-1.jpg

Last edited:
ok Maria... here's what I think....

I don't see this picture as something worthy of spending lots of time in LR... sorry
wb is one of the first things you should correct in any picture you take. google lr and wb and it'll give you easy pointers how it can be corrected.

The other big issue is the light here. you have to think how to properly lit any subject.

Keep shooting, reading, watching videos and practicing!

How are you feeling btw?

ok Maria... here's what I think....

I don't see this picture as something worthy of spending lots of time in LR... sorry
wb is one of the first things you should correct in any picture you take. google lr and wb and it'll give you easy pointers how it can be corrected.

The other big issue is the light here. you have to think how to properly lit any subject.

Keep shooting, reading, watching videos and practicing!

How are you feeling btw?

Thanks Maria for your input. The original has more of a warmish whitish hue to it. I was playing with all the different options in LR including the WB, but obviously I need to read some tutorials. As for lighting the subject did you mean to use off camera flash.? I don't have one or any other lighting accessories, hope to get one eventually. Tell me why you think it's not worthy aside from the lighting.

I'm feeling better but still having issues with my hand.

I think you have a really interesting subject here! What is missing for me, is context. Maybe leaving it on the plant, so it would have had some branches /berries/sly color as a background would have helped make clear to the viewer exactly WHAT we are looking at. Had you not told me, I am not sure I could have guessed. The white background is such a "sterile" choice for such a lovely organic subject.

I've gotta say though, am pretty jealous you have a blueberry bush! ;-)

I think you have a really interesting subject here! What is missing for me, is context. Maybe leaving it on the plant, so it would have had some branches /berries/sly color as a background would have helped make clear to the viewer exactly WHAT we are looking at. Had you not told me, I am not sure I could have guessed. The white background is such a "sterile" choice for such a lovely organic subject.

Thanks Jazzie I had not realized that about the context and you're right. I was trying to get a macro shot of the bud with the extension tube. As for the background what would you suggest I try? Perhaps change the color in LR?

My sister gave me 3 plants but only 2 made it and each year it has produced a little more berries. The blueberries are quite tasty and yummy.

Btw the bud is connected to the plant.

Actually, for me, the context and background are just fine. It's not really so important WHAT this plant is, it's the ice-globe covering some sort of bud that is really your subject. The white background has helped isolate it; if you shot this so that the plant itself was the background, I personally think it might have been harder for the subject to really stand out.

What's missing, for me, and what would have made this a really nice shot instead of just "okay" (In MY opinion)…is focus. There's just not enough DOF here. Macro is really tough to get not only a sharp focus, but to then get sufficient DOF that you get everything you want in that sharp focus. Here, I'd really like to see a much sharper edge to that ice globe, and yet still have the bud itself be in focus too. Instead, not even the whole bud (not even most of it) is completely in focus.
What was your aperture? You'll often have to stop WAY down on aperture when working with macro to get much DOF.

Thanks Jazzie I had not realized that about the context and you're right. I was trying to get a macro shot of the bud with the extension tube. As for the background what would you suggest I try? Perhaps change the color in LR?

My sister gave me 3 plants but only 2 made it and each year it has produced a little more berries. The blueberries are quite tasty and yummy.
I thought the "branch" was a shadow to be honest! ( I was posting before coffee though, which is an often repeated mistake of mine. ;-)

Its hard to say what I would have done different without being there. I probably would have first tried to choose a different angle, one that had MORE branches behind it. You have such shallow DOF here, I think you would have been able to keep the focus on the frozen bud, while giving it a more earthy feel in the soft background. Im not good at post work, so I don't really have any ideas to give you on how to "fix it" in light-room, sorry.

Actually, for me, the context and background are just fine. It's not really so important WHAT this plant is, it's the ice-globe covering some sort of bud that is really your subject. The white background has helped isolate it; if you shot this so that the plant itself was the background, I personally think it might have been harder for the subject to really stand out.

What's missing, for me, and what would have made this a really nice shot instead of just "okay" (In MY opinion)…is focus. There's just not enough DOF here. Macro is really tough to get not only a sharp focus, but to then get sufficient DOF that you get everything you want in that sharp focus. Here, I'd really like to see a much sharper edge to that ice globe, and yet still have the bud itself be in focus too. Instead, not even the whole bud (not even most of it) is completely in focus.
What was your aperture? You'll often have to stop WAY down on aperture when working with macro to get much DOF.

Thank you so much Sharon. I will reply with more info and check settings when I get back home.

I thought the "branch" was a shadow to be honest! ( I was posting before coffee though, which is an often repeated mistake of mine. ;-)

Its hard to say what I would have done different without being there. I probably would have first tried to choose a different angle, one that had MORE branches behind it. You have such shallow DOF here, I think you would have been able to keep the focus on the frozen bud, while giving it a more earthy feel in the soft background. Im not good at post work, so I don't really have any ideas to give you on how to "fix it" in light-room, sorry.

Will reply as soon as I get back home. Thanks Jazzie

Well I have a few minutes before I leave. The aperture is not adjustable with the extension tube I have. The exposure was 1/2000 sec. ISO was 1600. The background was snow. I wish I had been able to get the ice more in focus. I am still learning to use the extension tube and it's so tricky, just a slight movement and I lose focus. I really appreciate your suggestions and will have to try again with another subject. Unless we get more ice again I can try again. ;-)

I have no control of the aperture settings only the exposure and and ISO. This particular extension tube is limited in what I can do. I do appreciate your thoughts and I will keep on trying.

Well I have a few minutes before I leave. The aperture is not adjustable with the extension tube I have. The exposure was 1/2000 sec. ISO was 1600. The background was snow. I wish I had been able to get the ice more in focus. I am still learning to use the extension tube and it's so tricky, just a slight movement and I lose focus. I really appreciate your suggestions and will have to try again with another subject. Unless we get more ice again I can try again. ;-)

Can you adjust the aperture with just the lens, and THEN add the extension tube? It seems like there IS a way to do that with that type of tube. My extension tubes have contact points, so it's not a problem for me, but I'm almost certain I've read about how to set your aperture with the other kind of tubes.

If you can get some advice on how to change the aperture, then take your shutter speed way down to compensate for the smaller aperture (smaller opening that is, larger f number--never sure how to say that). You shouldn't need 1/2000 if you're on a tripod anyway, but even handheld, you should be able to drop that to at least 1/500.
I often find myself at f/22 or higher when shooting macro, so fill flash would be really helpful as well.

Sharon and Jazzie are much nicer than me :)

I still think the same. The light isn't good...you can fix lots of things in pp but not the light.... and I don't think you should buy a flash. Natural light is just fine,as long as you figure it out how to use it.

Anyway it's jmo and my vision for your subject and I could be completely wrong

Sharon and Jazzie are much nicer than me :)

I still think the same. The light isn't good...you can fix lots of things in pp but not the light.... and I don't think you should buy a flash. Natural light is just fine,as long as you figure it out how to use it.

Anyway it's jmo and my vision for your subject and I could be completely wrong

I'm going to disagree with you on one thing, Marija.
Natural light IS just fine, much of the time. But when you start dealing with macro, and needing apertures as high as f/22 and higher in order to get enough DOF to have your subject in focus, you just can't always compensate for that with the right natural light, or with your shutter speed and ISO combination.
Macro is one of those genres of photography that can, in fact, be greatly enhanced by using a flash.
Now, whether that would have helped THIS photo, I don't know. I think it might have, but I'm in a minority on that so far. :D

Most reactions

Back