sm4him

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
sm4him.500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Didn't get to go out anywhere today, because of some things that had to be done at home.
But it was absolutely beautiful outside (a little cold, but sunny), and it's going to turn gloomy again by tomorrow, so I couldn't resist at least getting out to the backyard for a little while. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long and had already lost a good bit of light, so had to deal with high ISO and noise in a lot of these.

I was AMAZED to find that my yard has suddenly become inundated with Bluebirds!! In the last two years, I've seen a grand total of four bluebirds in my yard. Today, there must have been at least 20 of them! I'm hoping that's a harbinger of good things to come.

1. Bluebird with an orange berry
Jan31_8254editweb.jpg

2. Bluebird 2
Jan31_8301editweb.jpg

3. Bluebird 3
Jan31_8268editweb.jpg

The Woodpeckers were also out in full force. I was sitting really close to the feeders, though, so only the Downys and the Red-Bellied were brave enough to come down out of the trees. They put on quite a show though!

4. Female Downy climbing the trellis
Jan31_8184editweb.jpg

5. Male Downy
Jan31_8123editweb.jpg

6. Red-Bellied winking at me. He was winking in victory, really, because I kept trying to get a shot of him flying off and he was always faster than I was!
Jan31_8096editweb.jpg

7. ALMOST got him this time! Well, I did get him, but I didn't quite get him in focus. :D
Jan31_8220ediwebt.jpg

8. And one bonus bird: Eastern Towhee
Jan31_8055editweb.jpg

In about two hours, I saw a total, I think, of 19 different species in my yard (or flying over it, as in the case of three black vultures).

As always, C&C, general comments or witty banter are all welcome here!

Three and eight are very nice.

Didn't get to go out anywhere today, because of some things that had to be done at home.
But it was absolutely beautiful outside (a little cold, but sunny), and it's going to turn gloomy again by tomorrow, so I couldn't resist at least getting out to the backyard for a little while. Unfortunately, I waited a little too long and had already lost a good bit of light, so had to deal with high ISO and noise in a lot of these.

I was AMAZED to find that my yard has suddenly become inundated with Bluebirds!! In the last two years, I've seen a grand total of four bluebirds in my yard. Today, there must have been at least 20 of them! I'm hoping that's a harbinger of good things to come.

1. Bluebird with an orange berry
View attachment 94516

2. Bluebird 2
View attachment 94514

3. Bluebird 3
View attachment 94515

The Woodpeckers were also out in full force. I was sitting really close to the feeders, though, so only the Downys and the Red-Bellied were brave enough to come down out of the trees. They put on quite a show though!

4. Female Downy climbing the trellis
View attachment 94518

5. Male Downy
View attachment 94519

6. Red-Bellied winking at me. He was winking in victory, really, because I kept trying to get a shot of him flying off and he was always faster than I was!
View attachment 94520

7. ALMOST got him this time! Well, I did get him, but I didn't quite get him in focus. :D
View attachment 94517

8. And one bonus bird: Eastern Towhee
View attachment 94521

In about two hours, I saw a total, I think, of 19 different species in my yard (or flying over it, as in the case of three black vultures).

As always, C&C, general comments or witty banter are all welcome here!

Very nice images. We have the same here in Crossville with the Blue birds and Downy's.

Beautiful Towhee shot Sharon :icon_thumleft:

Great shots. Agree with above, but i think 1 is real nice too. 7 i like the best, not so much for quality wise but it looks like it is trying not to fall backwards and it is kind of cute.

Really nice shots.... :)

Thanks, everyone!

Nice set. I've never had a Towhee in my yard and when I'm out in the woods I can never seem got get a clear shot of one. One day I'll get one.

Towhees tend to be pretty shy and reclusive; I don't know that I've ever gotten a clear picture of one anywhere *except* my yard.
But oddly, in my yard, I have at least 3, and I think 4, males and at least 2 females. And over the last couple of years, they have gotten much bolder. One of the females even flew up onto one of the hanging feeders yesterday for some seed; I've never seen one of them do that!

I very much enjoyed the bluebirds and Red-bellied Woodpecker as we don't have them here. Also interesting that Towhee's behaviour doesn't change by geographical location.

Most reactions

Back