Blur the background?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Photoguy123, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Photoguy123

Photoguy123 TPF Noob!

Im very VERY new to this SLR camera stuff. I won a Nikon D80 at work and always loved pictures with the subject in the front and the rest of the shot blurred alot. How do you do this? Do most of you use the presets that come with the camera (sport, portrait, landscape) or do you use the manual modes to do the settings.

Thanks!

I wanted something like these....I got them from google images
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shots like those are made with lenses using big (smaller number is bigger) apertures (the number f/2.8)

You can also do things like that one photoshop also.

But you should set the aperture on your camera to the smalled possible number, probably f/3.5

3. Photoguy123

Photoguy123 TPF Noob!

So put it to manual control and put it to f/3.5 and foruc with the lense manually till i get the desired results?

4. djrichie28

djrichie28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Either that or set the camera to Aperture Priority mode (A) and let the camera match a correct shutter speed automatically. Just set the Aperture to the lowest number, as mentioned, probably f3.5

5. Crosby

Crosby TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I used the aperture priority mode today but it is a film camera so I'll have to wait until I get them printed.

I used f/4 and auto shutter speed with ISO 400 film. I can't wait to see how they turned out but I hope the background will be blurred. The background is mostly of a budding Bradford Pear Tree (green and white).

Just read the camera manual and experiment with different settings. I would also recommend Understanding Exposure, a book that has been recommended to me from people on this forum. It has helped me alot!

Crosby

6. onlybo

onlybo TPF Noob!

Firstly,you must use the AV mode,secondly,turned the max Optical Zoom.
    finally,used the Max Aperture Value.

so ,you can have a try,hehe.

7. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very likely you're not going to be very successful with the lens that came with the camera. Use the aperture priority mode and open the lens up as wide as is possibler (smallest possible number). ALSO, get as close as you can. Those two actions will reduce the "depth of field" (the portion of the image that's in focus).

8. kidchill

kidchill TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yah, if you can, do a google search for depth of field (DOF) and it will explain it. DOF is based on aperture, distance from the subject, and zoom level. If you want a shallow DOF that will allow the subject to be sharp and blur the background you want a large aperture 1/(smallest number possible), get as close to the subject as possible, and zoom in as much as you can!! Here's a link that has some really good tutorials for beginners including DOF!! That's a good place to start...

http://www.galitz.co.il/en/articles.html

9. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You don't need a large aperture lens to get nice and shallow depths of field with blurry backgrounds.

my daughter on Easter Sunday about to get picked up to give her grammy a big ole kiss, heh heh :)

straight off the D80 with the 70-300VR and bounced SB-600, 185mm @ f/5.3, 1/125s, iso450, +0.7EV
    [​IMG]

kidchill has it right. Key in the shot above is the long focal length and relatively close subject distance. Also, check the "what is bokeh" link in my signature. :) I'm not sure what lens you might have gotten with the D80, but if it's the standard 18-135 lens then it's actually a pretty decent lens for portrait type photos, and has the best background rendering (bokeh) of any of the kit lenses.

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Bokeh (the blurred background) is a result of three things:

- A large aperture opening
    - The ratio of distance between you and your subject
    - The ratio of distance between you and the area BEHIND your subject.

To blur the background, your aperture has to be big (as mentioned), but what I fail to see people explaining is that the greater the ratio of distance between you/background vs you/subject, the greater the blur will be.

This is why you can successfully blur things at apertures like F/5.6... the camera was VERY close and the distance behind the subject was proportionally higher.

This is why you can use apertures even as small as F/7 to create bokeh.

[​IMG]

Elvis has left the building! :lol: :lol:

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Also iirc, 35mm cameras use more of the lens area so you'll get a shallower DOF with a higher f stop than using a digital cam with a crop sensor.

OP- JerryPH's post is a good one.

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    VI (I have a hard time calling anyone an idiot, sorry... lol), Field of view is not depth of view. You will see a wider picture with an uncropped sensor like a film camera or a digital body that has a full size sensor, but the amont of bokeh under the same circumtances would be identical.

... and the elvis pic is nowhere NEAR as cute as Mav's daughter is. ;)