Blurred station photo - trying new techniques

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
I'm a fan of intentionally-blurred photos: they seem to have an etheral quality about them that's hard to get from hair-splitting sharpness. So I tried to shoot this train station, intentionally blurring it.

Along with the blurriness, I think comes a but of contrast-muddiness. I keep increasing the contrast here, and each time I find myself liking it a bit more. But I think some of this is my eyes and brain playing tricks on me, making me believe the contrast is more of a problem than it is because it's out of focus.

I shot this at about 35mm, focusing on a point fairly close to the camera.

I feel like maybe the figures could be sharper. I dunno.

Honestly, it's not that I dislike it - I like the photo, I think it's a good start, and I'm not complaining. But I'm looking for comments on the photo as well as any thoughts on the technique in general.

Also, I'll be posting another blurred image in the next day, so check out my site if you get a chance: www.TeamWetDog.com

station-contrastweb.jpg

Robert Walton

I like it, only thing is that the light dots kind of are distracting. It makes the people look like ghosts. Kind of eerie.

hmm, well i've stared at the photo for a minute or 2. I really like the way the lines lead your eyes to end of the tunnel though the lights are slightly distracting as eskiho has pointed out. From a more personal aspect, I think blurred images are more striking if they are directly next to a still focused image. With this image it could be a train moving or an empty platform with people walking.

It is an interesting and striking photos as it's "different" and i appreciate your efforts. The more alternate approaches photographers use to capturing their moments the better.

I think it's very cool. Great use of line. It's alright as an abstract, but knowing that it's a train station makes it more interesting, IMO.

Most reactions

Back