Blurring the background...

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently shoot with a powershot sx10is, and really enjoy it. However, one thing I'm experimenting with is how to blur the background...there is an aperture priority setting on it, and a "portrait" pre-set as well. I've tried focusing in one something but don't notice much of a background difference, but maybe just need to experiement some more.

Basically I'm looking to do this when shooting say an animal or bird; it would be nice to blur the background and get the animal in clear. Is this doable on this camera? Is it easier with an SLR?

Thanks,
Paul

From some quick Googling, it looks like your camera's largest aperture is f/2.8 zoomed all the way out. Go to this setting, and your DOF should be small enough to create the blur. If I understand correctly, larger aperture = smaller depth of field = more background blur.

Would this be easier with an SLR? Or, do you get more aperture settings on an SLR?

On a DSLR the max aperture will be determined by the lens. For instance the 50mm f/1.4 has a very thin depth of field at 1.4 which is great for keeping areas out of focus. Also, focal length and your distance from the subject will affect the depth of field.

On a DSLR the max aperture will be determined by the lens. For instance the 50mm f/1.4 has a very thin depth of field at 1.4 which is great for keeping areas out of focus. Also, focal length and your distance from the subject will affect the depth of field.

OK...thanks. I was looking at the Olympus E-620 and getting a couple of lenses for it; some nice deals out there. Hopefully I can play with the aperture more on it.

I will say it is harder to do it in point and shoot type camera as the sensor in such camera is usually very small when compares to DSLR or other format camera.

To increase the effect of blur ground, you can ...

Use a longer focal length.
Use a wider aperture (small F/ number).
Position the subject so that the subject is far away from the background.
Position the subject closer to the camera.

To understand more about this, learn more about Depth of Field.
i.e. Definitions of Depth of Field

Most reactions

New Topics

Back