Blurrry pictues from the A7

It's an illustrative mode in the camera....pretty cool, isn't it?

I do shoot in raw most of the time.....but it doesn't mean great .jpegs don't come out of your camera. Lots of pros shoot .jpeg.

I do shoot in raw most of the time.....but it doesn't mean great .jpegs don't come out of your camera. Lots of pros shoot .jpeg.

None i know shoot JPG
you obviously haven't spoken with many wedding photographers who don't have the time to correct a thousand shots in Lightroom and Photoshop. They openly admit on other forums that they shoot .jpg.

Those are your weekend pros I wouldn't dream of taking 1000 photos at a wedding photographers taking that many photos are putting no thought into the shots

You can always shoot jpg+raw if the jpg`s turn out all ok delete the raws, but if you get a problem photo one you really want, the raw will allow you to adjust it so much more and maybe save the photo.

John.

None i know shoot JPG
you obviously haven't spoken with many wedding photographers who don't have the time to correct a thousand shots in Lightroom and Photoshop. They openly admit on other forums that they shoot .jpg.

None i know shoot JPG

im not saying there arent wedding photographers that shoot jpeg, but....
even for staged portraits we always shoot raw. just in case. no matter what we shoot, we would still
edit the file at least in some small way with LR or PS so it never hurts to have all the information possible.
just because i open the file in LR or PS does not mean i have to spend a ton of time on it. it just means i want to at least crop and make minor adjustments.
I can do the same editing in the same time whether its raw or jpeg from the camera.

If you shoot jpeg because you are getting it right in camera, and not doing any editing at all, then fine....but if a wedding photographer tells me they "don't have time" to edit raw files, all that says to me is they are either promising more than they can deliver, or have poor time management skills.

I got a few very blurry pictures yesterday with everything set to automatic....has anyone else had that problem? Hope it doesn't keep doing it as I might have to send it back...

Hi,

I have the A7R and a bunch of Canon FD, EOS, Tamron, and Sigma lenses. What I have found is when you use a wide angle lens (Canon EOS 20mm f2.8 for example) you are better off using manual focus because the auto focus hunts and does not lock on a distance. It is probably the difference in focusing between Canon and Sony and I don't know enough about it to get into detail. The Sony uses contrast focusing and some objects are difficult to isolate.

I manual focus and use the AF/M button to zoom in on the object to make a more precise focus. A bit slow but for fast focus, I just set it at F8, auto ISO, and set Infinity to F8. so you have everything in focus from 3 ft to infinity and just walk around. I used to do this with Leica rangefinder M-3 and the 21mm super Angulon.

Beautiful camera though. I have been keeping my classic Canon FD lenses for years waiting for a body that will take them.

Regards,

Harley

There's a lot to be said for shooting manual focus....but not all the time...some of the time, you just don't have the time to set it manually. I do respect all those that do try and shoot everything in manual. With tday''s cameras, they're being built to shoot auto most of the time. Times are a changing. Either way doesn't make one a better photographer....that will come down to subject matter and composition.

There's a lot to be said for shooting manual focus....but not all the time...some of the time, you just don't have the time to set it manually. I do respect all those that do try and shoot everything in manual. With tday''s cameras, they're being built to shoot auto most of the time. Times are a changing. Either way doesn't make one a better photographer....that will come down to subject matter and composition.

Honestly, I think the camera usually does a better job than me at focusing. Not to say that I NEVER use manual focus, but I certainly do not use it for everyday use... I typically use flexible spot focusing, though, to make sure I focus on what I want to focus on...

You can always shoot jpg+raw if the jpg`s turn out all ok delete the raws, but if you get a problem photo one you really want, the raw will allow you to adjust it so much more and maybe save the photo.

John.

That's what I usually do... But then again, I am not a pro!

Well i have been shooting film and now digital for a long time and i still consider myself a beginner and i most likely always will, so much to learn :)

John.

Most reactions

Back