Blurry background, focused subject - is my lens ok?

lilmorecowbell

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am brand new to this so I am still trying to learn just the basics. I know that Aperture is responsible for making those beautiful focused subjects and blurry backgrounds. I am still playing with my camera to make that work, but recently I was told that my 'kit' lens 18-55 Nikkor only goes to 5.6 and to really get a nice shot I would need a 2.8 or less. Is this true? Can I not get a decent focused/blurry photo with my lens? The other lens I have is a 50-200 VR, also 5.6.

Yes, you can get decent shots with those lenses.

Ignoring what the lens can you it also becomes a function of your zoom. At 100mm f/5.6 the background will be more out of focus (yet at the same time larger) than at 18mm f/5.6

It is not only aperture size that determines Depth of Field the Blurry background you are describing.

The other 2 factors are the focal length ( such as 18mm or 55m),and the distance to the subject.DOF will become more shallow at 1 foot than 3 feet from your subject.

18mm will have greater DOF than 55mm

So the most shallow DOF you could attain from your kit lens would be to zoom all the way to 55mm and then open the aperture wide open and then get as close to your subject as possible.

The 50-200mm would be 200mm aith the aperture at 5.6 and as close to your subject as possible.

More info on DOF can be found by google or just search these threads.

Most reactions

Back