Blurry Moving Objects without Flash

indextpf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good day,

I'm a newbie/casual. I have a Canon PowerShot A2600, but it doesn't have any manual shutter speed setting.

I can take clear photos of moving objects when the flash is on. But when the flash is off, every moving object becomes blurry.

I tried covering the flash with paper while shooting, it kind of worked. But I've read that doing that is dangerous.

My question is: Is there any way to increase shutter speed when the flash is off? Or is shutter speed even the actual problem? Basically, I want to know a trick to keep moving objects clear even without flash.

Thanks in advanced.

I think Flash is not affected by shutter speed. Setting the camera to Shutter priority mode, where you set the shutter speed and the camera automatically selects the aperture.

A benefit of using flash is the duration of the flash of light is usually short enough that it stops motion.

At full power the duration of the flash your camera produces is about 1/1000. If the flash power is less than full power, the flash duration is likely even shorter.

After a quick look at the user manual for your camera I do see that the flash power level is adjustable nor that the flash can be entirely disabled. It is either in auto and fires when the camera programming thinks it's needed or you can have it ON for every shot, or you can select the slow syncro mode. (page 62)

Last edited:
I'm guessing that your blurry shots with the flash turned off is the result of shooting in low light situations, such as indoors, concerts, or nighttime shots. Leaving the camera in its full auto mode, even with adjusting exposure compensation for low lighting will most likely slow down the shutter speed to the point where someone walking, for example would be blurred. When the flash is turned on, the camera will use a faster shutter speed as there's more light available and effectively freeze motion.

Based on my quick read of the users manual for your camera http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0/0300010040/01/ps-a1400-a2600-cu-en.pdf I've concluded that you do not have full exposure control capabilities. It looks like the only specific user adjustable setting is the ISO speed, per page 56 of the manual. Alternatively, adjust the camera to a low-light scene mode per page 46 which should accomplish the same result.

And, of course, with slower shutter speeds needed for low-light shooting, be sure to steady yourself and the camera as much as possible by kneeling, leaning against a wall, or using a tripod.

Read the manual just for grins - never seen a camera that did not allow you to set the shutter speed but apparently even though this camera can go to 1/1000 of a second it will not let you control it. They say if you need more speed then change the ISO. No "Sports" mode in the camera so I would just increase ISO to force a faster shutter speed.
You can turn off the Flash - read the manual.

Thanks eveyone.

Basing from all your suggestions, I guess there's no other way to turn off the flash if I want keep the shutter fast. You're right bratkinson, I am trying to shoot in low light. Apologies if I didn't mentioned that on my first post.. I tried the Low-Light scene mode as you mentioned, but there's only a slight reduction in motion blur, even when the camera is very steady. While KmH's suggestion has pretty much the same effect as the low-light scene mode.

Again, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I guess I would have to get another camera that can do the job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back