Blurry Photos!

First things first, adjust your diopter. You can also zoom in when in live view to focus more accurately manually, as well as trying Single-Point AF. If your getting slightly blurry pics with your kids, it's possible your kids are not being perfectly still, maybe try a faster shutter speed.

Working with eyeglasses can be tricky. I was facing the same problem, many years ago.
If there is nothing wrong with your camera settings, switch to contacts. :)

I am manually focusing. The auto focus never gives me the result I'm looking for.

Autofocus is faster and more accurate than manual focus in most cases. It's possible that you simply need to learn how to use it. Your camera has a few different AF modes that are described in detail in the manual. Please post some sample photos. They don't have to be photos of your daughter. Point the camera at the refrigirator and start shooting :)

What Fstop are you trying to manual focus At?

Don't think this would be a factor as your aperture does not not stop down until the shutter button is depressed. Don't know how many focus points there are on a D5100 (eleven?) but in auto focus you may have the wrong point chosen where the camera is focusing on something other than the subject.

Jerry

We here on TPF like to call that blur "Artsy".

Isn't that the truth.;) Well I, for one, don't. But those images do seem to get the most rave reviews so maybe I'll start shooting out of focus images or maybe just images where 1/100th of it is in focus because the shallow DOF images seem to be masterpieces also. I'm thinking a couple six packs of beer before my next outing plus manually focusing should help me achieve the results that most love. Oh yeah and an f/1.8 lens.

Jerry

Most reactions

New Topics

Back